cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS agent running in VMware - Should it work?

wooinau
Level 3
Partner

Hi Everyone,

Recently I began a process of virtualising and adding new servers to a VMware ESX 3.5 environment.  When I deploy the CPS agent out to a new server (win2k3 R2 SP2 x32 or win2k8 SP1 x64) everything seems to work correctly.

The agent deploys to the target server.  The server reboots and then shows as online in the CPS console (incidentally, CPS is running in Win2k8 x64 on a physical server outside of the VM environment).

I next setup the job (Continuous) and the job starts.

However, when I next reboot the server that I just added, the next time the job tries to restart, the status is stuck on "Gathering Information" and this does not change.  It takes roughly 17 minutes before it changes status to "running" the first time I set it up in my latest test

All services appear to be running.  Everything looks normal, apart from it getting stuck "Gathering Information".  I'm guessing that Symantec don't support CPS agents running within a VMware ESX environments, but before giving up - I wanted to pose the question and see what real world experience people had with this.

Message Edited by wooinau on 10-15-2008 08:49 PM
Message Edited by wooinau on 10-15-2008 08:50 PM
1 REPLY 1

rayjay
Level 3

I do the same thing, physical x32 w2k3 r2 server for BE and virtual for the client servers on esx3.0.2 , seems to work fine for half a dozen servers w2k and w2k3 with about 2mins to 1 hour in the "synchronizing"/running  stage depending on data size on the server.

I'm running 12.0 1364 sp2

Not much help to you but you did ask if it does work<smiles>, yes, at least on 3.0.2 in my config

good luck,

Ray