cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can BE 10d copy any existing tape to another tape for offsite storage?

James_Ho
Level 4
Hello.
I have searched through the forums and couldn't find an answer to this question.

I have a tape that has several backup jobs saved to it. It sits on a shelf in our tape cabinet. We now want to make a copy of this tape to store offsite. This is not a duplicate job situation as the jobs have already been run many months ago, plus that data is no longer on the servers. This is intended to be a fall back in case we ever discover that we need to get to this data again after deleting it from the servers.

So can BE 10d perform a copy from one tape drive to another tape drive? This is basically like copying a CD. The exact contents of one CD are copied onto another CD.

Ken Putnam pointed one user that asked this question to page 394 of the Admin Guide. However, all that talks about is copying jobs, selection lists, and policies from one media server to another media server.

I have two SDLT tape libraries with two SDLT drive in them (total of four drives).

Thanks for any assistance that anyone can provide.
Jim
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Snce you have two drives, it's easy

Create a DUPLICATE job with the source the tape you already have, and the target the other tape drive

(And yes, it does need to be a duplicate if you want to be able to restore from the second tape)

(Don't remember the other post, maybe the coffee hadn't kicked in yet)

If you only had one drive, you would need to duplicate to a B2D file and then Duplicate back to a new tape.