cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have multiple BE databases?

JOli
Level 3

I'm using BE 12.5 on Windows Server 2003.  I need to create backups for several different projects, and I would like to have only one project's information in the BE database at a time, including catalogs, history, etc., so that for each new project I can start with a new BE database.  When I'm working on one project, I don't want other projects' information to appear in BE.  I just need to be able to switch between these databases.  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
You'd have to look at renaming your current (always active database) database folder to something like: Data_current. Firstly stop your services =).
When you start them up, it's going to recreate a blank database. You can verify this by going into Backup Exec. It won't show any jobs, job history, or configured partitions in your device. Furthermore, if you go into that Data folder, it will show a small database which is empty.
Set up your job and media set information for whichever project, then repeat: stop services, rename Data to Data_Project1; restart services etc.
Backup Exec itself does not support multiple databases that run concurrently.
It's going to get confusing if you don't keep a check on it, and managing that environment will become complex, so be prepared for that.

JOli
Level 3
Thanks CraigV.  This sounds like a workable solution for me, at least in the short term.  I'll give it a try.

CraigV
Cool, let me know how it goes.

JOli
Level 3
Didn't work.  BE wouldn't start after I renamed the database folder.  It gave me a message about being unable to repair the database.  Restored the original name to the database folder and everything was fine again. 

I ran out of time and had to just use BE with the existing database.  I may have to look into this again in the future, but for now we're moving on.  Thanks for your help.

CraigV
No problems. I'll try dig up something that does this step-for-step!

Some articles:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318321.htm <-- not necessarily what you want, but it has some of the steps.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17875934/Trouble-Shooting-Backup-Exec <-- scroll through here...it details the renaming of the Data folder. You will have to scroll down a bit though.