cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can selection lists be exported from one server and imported to another?

Kevin_Nickson
Level 4
This might be a dumb question, but I've been using Backup Exec for years and have never been able to figure this out.

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
There isn't exactly and export and import feature but if you have mulitple BE 11 servers you can right click on a selection list on one server and select Copy. In the Copy dialog box select the option to copy it to a different BE 11 server.

See page 440 in the BE 11 Admin guide, the section is titled Copying jobs, selection lists, and policies

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/285233.pdf

Francois_Steyl
Level 4
Partner
I am speaking under correction, but I am sure the "Copy" functionality is a licensed feature. So if you are not running in eval mode, nor bought the license, it will not be possible.

What you can do is to run the "Copy Media Server Configuration" using the BEUtility in the Symantec\backup exec\nt directory.

Add the Server you want to copy off, and the Server you want to copy to as Media Servers within the BEUtility.

Select the Server which you want to copy the config from, and select "Copy Media Server Configuration". Add your domain\backupaccount, password, and a target location.

Once the file has been created, select your "other" Media Server and apply the config file you just created.

This will copy all your policies, selection lists, and the jobs.

Open and close Backup Exec.

Hope this helps.

Serge_Archambau
Level 3
I have the same issu but I only want to copy the built-in Excludes selection.

Is this possible?

Kevin_Nickson
Level 4
"What you can do is to run the "Copy Media Server Configuration" using the BEUtility in the Symantec\backup exec\nt directory."

After attempting to do this, I was able to save the configuration of the media server I'm trying to copy, but when I try to "Apply copied media server configuration", I receive the error "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute".

It all seemed so promising too.

Francois_Steyl
Level 4
Partner
I don't believe you can only extract specific information when using BEUtility. It's either all or nothing. Hence the clever way that Symantec makes the "copy" feature licensed.

As for the RPC, that is another issue. We had the same scenario a while ago and I had to reload, and redo all the configurations, selection lists etc.

(Our extraction process actually hung up the services)

Also this issue seems to only happen with 11d. We have never had it with 10d.

Kevin_Nickson
Level 4
Francois,

Thank you for your reply. It appears that I'm having a similar issue. I've already built a new server and I've created my selection lists and jobs again. I'll never understand why this feature isn't a free, built-in feature?

redman
Level 2
Is it possible to copy from a 10d to a 11d server? I'm just trying to save some work by not having to recreate all the jobs and policies we employ. I'm in the process of trying to build up our 11d server to move our backups over to the new server running 11d, but wanted to see if this was possible when I get to that point.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
It may work, but it's not supported

What you could do is install v10 in demo mode and use BEUTIL to copy the config, then upgrade that to v11d 

redman
Level 2
I went ahead and did it manually. I tried the BEUTIL and it didn't work without throwing me some errors. It didn't take as longs as I thought it would. Thanks for the response.