cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't See Library

sdcadmin
Level 5

I have BE 2010 R3 installed on a media server.  When I go to the devices tab, the tape library does not appear.  It is a Dell PowerVault 132T.  Old, I know, but this is a development rack.  Anyway, I digress.  I went through the Configure Devices procedures.  I selected the option to install tape device drivers and to use I get a message that no devices were found.  All 3 options on the Symantec Device Driver Installer dialog box. I'm not sure what I can do at htis point.  Is it possible to salvage the library or should it be scrapped.  The 132T library is on the compatibility list.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

William

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There is no realy 'best controller', but I can recommend an Adaptec. It is (in my opinion) always working, and drivers for all operating systems.
But any normal SCSI adapter (look at speed, 160Mb/320Mb) will be fine.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you don't see the library in Windows device manager, Backup Exec will never see it.

Check cabling, and make sure the device is recognized during boot.

sdcadmin
Level 5

In the device manager, other devices, it shows RAID controller.  Could it be that the media server isn't talking to the library? 

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is this a SCSI library ?
If so, what kind of controller is it conntect to, because a RAID controller is not supported.

Check during boot from your system, normally you can see all connected (SCSI) devices.

sdcadmin
Level 5

Yes, it is a SCSI library and we are using a RAID controller.  What kind of controller should be used?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There is no realy 'best controller', but I can recommend an Adaptec. It is (in my opinion) always working, and drivers for all operating systems.
But any normal SCSI adapter (look at speed, 160Mb/320Mb) will be fine.

sdcadmin
Level 5

Awesome.  We will give that a shot.  Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you have a Dell server along with a Dell library, get hold of a Dell-branded SCSI card. It's going to make life a lot easier if you have to log calls for hardware issues from Dell's perspective.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

With a few exceptions, you cannot use a RAID controller for your library.  See this

Support policy for HBA that feature RAID

sdcadmin
Level 5

We installed the adapter and it worked.  We can see the library.  We have a new issue that I will put in a different post.  Thanks so much!