cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't backup Exchange 2003 Information store BEXEC 9.1

Dave_Garber
Level 3
Hi all,

I just finished an Exchange 2003 server build in an active/passive cluster configuration. The OS and Exchange are up to date rollup/SP-wise. I installed the remote agent to both nodes. When I go to the new cluster to select the information store for backup, there is nothing there besides the drive resources and the shadow copy options. There are no Exchange specific resources showing up.

What could be causing this? I've got a similar setup in a different domain that works fine.
6 REPLIES 6

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
Make sure you have entered the license for exchange on the media server.

License Requirement for Exchange cluster in active/passive mode:

1) Remote agent licenses - 2
2) Exchange agent license- 2

Remote agent: You need to install Remote Agent on each physical node of the cluster.

Exchange agent:Exchange Agent gets installed locally on the media server.

Dave_Garber
Level 3
I have the remote agent installed on both nodes. I thought it was license related too, so I removed the agents on the first cluster, removed the job for the first cluster and uninstalled my Exchange license. I then re-installed my Exchange license, installed the remote agents on both nodes of my new cluster and attempted to create a backup job for the new cluster. No go. I don't see the information store at all. The only thing I get are the drive resources. I then reinstalled the agents on my first cluster and recreated the backup job for it. On this server, I see the information store just fine.

I mentioned in another post that if I use NT backup, I can see the information store just fine on the new cluster. BEXEC, however, see's nothing relating to the IS. So this definitely seems to be an 'issue' with BEXEC in some way..

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You have mentioned that you have remote agent installed on both nodes, but do you have two exchange licenses? One for each node?

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Dave_Garber
Level 3
Why would I need a seperate license for each node? There is only one information store, therefore only one license should be needed to back it up? This is how we have our Exchange 2000 cluster setup and it works fine.

I believe I know what the problem is. When this cluster was created, a seperate Exchange cluster name/IP was not used. Exchange is using the cluster name/IP (to keep from having 2 IP's and 2 names for one instance).. This works perfectly for everything but Vertias (typical), so we'll likely just use NT backup to create a backup file, and then use Veritas to backup the file (NT backup see's the information store just fine, as does Legato).

Dave

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

We suggest you to perform the following step to resolve this issue:

Change the RESTRICT ANONYMOUS KEY to 1 on both the nodes.

You can refer the following technote:-
How to enable support for "Restrict Anonymous" when using Backup Exec 8.6, 9.x, and 10.0 for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived.

Regards,

Dave_Garber
Level 3
Hot damn!! This did the trick! Thanks a bunch guys!!