cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't creat IDR CD image

Chi_Lai_Tang
Level 2
After applying win 2003 sp1, I want to update the IDR cd images. So i created a slipstreamed win 2003 boot disk with sp1. But the IDR wizard doesn't accept this disk and a message "Image creation from this cd not supported." The same situation occured to win 2000 slipstreamed disks.

How can this be solved ?
8 REPLIES 8

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Ensure that the CD that you are using to create a bootable CD is not a MSDN CD or a service pack integrated CD.

Also take a look at the following technotes.

Title:
When creating the Intelligent Disaster Recovery bootable media, an error message "Image creation from the CD is not supported" occurs and an incorrect CD-ROM icon is displayed.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/251598

Title:
While creating a bootable media for Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) the error message "Image creation from this CD not supported" occurs.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/238753

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Chi_Lai_Tang
Level 2
The original CD is a Volume Licensing CD. The bootable CD created works fine and I even can install a Win 2003 with it.

Also checked the 2 links provided but is not the case.

It seems that the Backup Exec can't read or recognize the CD. When I use back the original CD( without sp1). The IDR wizard works fine.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

The original CD is a Volume Licensing CD. The bootable CD created works fine and I even can install a Win 2003 with it.

It seems that the Backup Exec can't read or recognize the CD. When I use back the original CD( without sp1). The IDR wizard works fine.

Please elaborate which CD works with Backup Exec and which CD does it fail to recognize? Is the the bootable CD thats is created?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Chi_Lai_Tang
Level 2
The original volume license CD works fine.

The silpstreamed CD (with SP1) doesn't work.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

Please consider these two statements:

"So i created a slipstreamed win 2003 boot disk with "

"Ensure that the CD ... is not a MSDN CD or a service pack integrated CD."

I think the problem has been stated, yes, you are using an integrated SP CD, and apparently Veritas IDR can't support these.

Chi_Lai_Tang
Level 2
It doesn't make sense if the IDR doesn't support integrated SP CD. Then I have to apply SP after restore the whole server.

Moreover, I am worrying that if the system can be restored with the Windows 2003 gold CD after I have applied SP1.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Not really.

Think about this.
You have Windows 2003. You restore a backup, which is a backup of a system with Windows 2003 SP1. You have just restored your SP1 system.

That said, we never got a backup under Windows 2000 to actually restore properly, unless we had SP4 already installed (in situations where the original server have Sp4 of course) and in our conversations with Veritas techs they confirmed that is normal, so let's hope Windows 2003 doesn't give you that headache.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Backup Exec's IDR process was initially designed and tested with standard Windows 2000 CDs (without any SPs). As a result, the .SIF (Setup Installation File) included with Backup Exec does not correctly function when used with files from Service Pack integrated CDs.

If you have backup of Windows 2003 with service pack 1 , you will be able to restore the whole system including service pack 1.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.