cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't easily see what VM guest has failed based on log

Moltron1
Level 5

I recently had to recreate all my VMware backups.  This time around, instead of having a job definition for each individual VM guest, I decided to group them. 

Every now and then I get a quesce failure, but now with the servers grouped, I can't tell what server failed.  The only error in the log reads " An attempt to take a snapshot of a virtual machine failed because it was unable to quiesce a file system.".  This makes no mention of the server.  The only way to figure it out is to note the selection list and then compair that to each job set information in the backup log. 

This is very tedius and confusing to my delegated backup admins.  Can anyone think of a better way?   ...I have a feeling I'll be recreating all the jobs again, one for each vmguest. 

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Unfortunately that was the same process when BE 2010 failed a Vmware backup as well, the error was often against the media server container and just in a gap between named virtual machines.

So you do have to just work out which machines are missing from the list and then do one off test jobs to troubleshoot the problem.

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

If it is quiescing error then you can try looking up into "Task & Events" in vSphere Client which should tell you which VM failed to get quiesced.

On vSphere Client click on your datacenter name or the ESX server IP, Click on "Task & Events" and then click on "Events". This will list all the Events depending on your selection of Datacenter or ESX. You can then sort by 'Type' and look for errors.

Moltron1
Level 5

Sameer, while that does seem to show me when snapshots happen, due to the volume of backups and other things listed in there, it is cut off.  My backup staff does not have access to vCenter either.

Colin, how difficult would it be to add a simple error message where the server resource would be in the log, or at least instead of the final error saying "A server had an error" have it say "Server X had an error".  Seems like a simple enough change, to me at least. 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Moltron - we have an Ideas section in the Symantec Connect community for Enhancement requests

If you post an Idea then other customers can add a score to it giving us better feedback on how much an Enhancement might be wanted.

Moltron1
Level 5

ok