cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upgrade from BackupExec 2010 R3 to 2012 due to deduplication option

GAG
Level 3

Hello,

I'm triying to upgrade my Backup Exec 2010 R3 server to Backup Exec 2012.

Upgrade installation fails beacuse I have installed "Deduplication option" so I must uninstall it first (in fact I've never used this option, I've just installed it for testing purposes).

The problem is that I can't uninstall this option. It appears ticked (installed) but I can't uninstall it in order to launch the upgrade process.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

26 REPLIES 26

BBIAngie
Not applicable

I agree completely. I had the same issue only with the DLO option.  I had to revert 2010 to a trial before I could do the upgrade!

Glad I didnt spend hours digging as it seems the support for BE 2012 is not so great yet.

Henrik_Fr_lund
Level 2
Partner Accredited

The solution is to install BE2012 as a trial to upgrade BE 2010.

We have upgraded BE2010R3 to BE2012 as a trial. First we strugled with the same problems with DLO and deduplication.

Unfortunately we already did try to upgrade with the serialnumbers, and was not able to delete these. But it is possible to install BE2012 without selecting the serialnumbers already supplied.

After installation/upgrade to BE2012 we just activated the licenses with no problems.

The update was done on a fully updated SB2011 with BE2010R3.

Jimmy_Andrews
Level 3

This is piss poor Symantec, time to call my Dell rep to deal with this.  So, I uninstalled the DLO option and to my surprise, that didn't help the upgrade to 2012, still showing as installed (even though it is showing unchecked in 2010 R3).  Come to find out, it never deregisters the DLO Maintenance Service...grrr, I bet that is why it won't upgrade...maybe I'll deregister it myself.

Fortunately for me, I do have the dedupe option selected, but within the 60 day grace period.  I activated it with hopes of actually using it...however due to some bad information given to me and unclear descriptions on the Symantec site, it isn't a practical solution for us.  I hope that once I get this DLO stuff figured out, it will be smooth sailing.

Jimmy_Andrews
Level 3

Well, the whole SC DELETE didn't work, went into the registry to delete that service.  Also noticed that DLO was not even touched for the uninstall that was supposed to happen after unchecking the option in 2010R3, in fact, I could still fully run the program from the folder...grrr.

So, rebooting the server now to get that DLO Maint service out of there, then I am going to rename the DLO folder in program files...Lets see if it stops me again.

Jimmy_Andrews
Level 3

Nope, didn't work.  Time to do some more registry diving...and starting another thread about this issue.

tsvare
Level 2
Employee

jandrews@mjdatacorp.com,

Would you mind if I contacted you via email?  I think I can help you get DLO removed but would like to get a little further information.

Jimmy_Andrews
Level 3

You are absolutely welcome to contact me via email!  My address is my username that you used to respond.  I have since corrected that to just show my name.

Jimmy