cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Erase Media

pjamme
Level 4
I am still trying to figure out whether my issue is with bad tapes, BE10D, or my Seagate Travan 40 IDE tape drive.
The last two batches of new tapes I have tried give me:

Media is unrecognized.
The media in drive 'Seagate 1 Taravan 20/40 GB' is written in an unrecognized format. Erase the media to make it usable.

It wouldn't accept the tape for a backup job so i tried a few things.
I can Retention successfully, I can Inventory successfully, but I cannot catalog as it gives me that error.
Properties originally said Allocated 8/7 and the name was "? (Unrecognized Media)".  I moved it to Scratch Media Set and renamed it this morrning to Aug13. It doesn't show up under Stand alone Devices until I retention and then the Erase Long & Quick is grayed out in Media Tasks with Aug13 highlighted.

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Pjamme,

Here is something to try that I have seen work in the past with Travan tapes.  Though it has to be down outside of Backup Exec it seems to resolve the problem.  Make sure you have the vendor drivers loaded for the tape drive, then go into NTBackup and run a format of the tape.  Once complete go back into Backup Exec and you should be able to use the tapes.

Regards,

pjamme
Level 4
Thanks Ben, I'll give it a try when I come back from vaca