cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Stop Backup Exec Services

Elaine_Kemp
Level 2
I have had a problem reported before in this forum with scheduled jobs status changing to running and then nothing happening. Some of the solutions suggest stopping and starting the Backup Exec services. I went to Admin tools->services selected a service called Backup Exec 8.x server and tried stopping the service. I eventually got back a message saying cannot stop service Error 1053:The service did not respond to the control request in a timely fashion.
Am I doing somehing wrong ? How do I get the service to stop ?
2 REPLIES 2

Eddie_Burkett
Level 2
I'm having similar problems. ( http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=52177&tstart=0 ), so I'm curious about your situation. What OS are you running on, and what version of BE are you using? How much progress is your backup making? You didn't happen to install any patches for your OS just before encountering this problem, did you?

Glenn_Cassidy
Not applicable
If you have the support tools loaded on your server... which everyone should use the "kill -f" command and then the PID number from the task manager. If you need to find the service name go to services.msc then right click the backup services 6 or 7 of them... get the name from properties and match that to the task manager PID so then the command is
kill -f 2600
...or whatever your PID number matching the backup services is. This was the only way I found to restart the services on BKEX 8.5 and 8.6 with out restarting the server completely.