Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot append to appendable tape.

bjorn_b
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi folks!

I have been reading on the forum to find similar situations, but cannot find it.

I have an autoloader with six tapes, one for each day Mon-Sat.
I have 1 mediaset
I have 6 different jobs going to this mediaset each day.

I want each tape to be appendable for 1 day, but for testing purposes, I have set the Append period to be infinite. 
OP time is 6 days

I have set the default options to append to media before it overwrites, and under media management, I have instructed BE to use recycable media before using scratch media.

The first job runs fine, but then the horror starts. Backup Exec uses one tape pr. job, even if the jobs are going to the same mediaset. The properties of the media is set correctly (when I look a the media as well) to be "Infinite Append". 

As I guess this is NOT by design (Never seen it before) I wonder if there are any settings that could PREVENT my jobs from using the same media in the same media set for 6 different jobs. The tape isn't even close to being full. 

I have been struggling for this for a week now. I am very familiar with BE, but this problem is just driving me crazy

regards

/bjorn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bjorn_b
Level 6

It's strange, but sometimes it helps sharing your thoughts with others....

The template in the policy was created before the default options was changed to "Append" instead of overwrite, so the template still tried to do an overwrite operation instead of appending.

It's confusing though, that this is set under Device and Media in the template, while it is set under "Backup" under Options.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...what happens if you set your Append period to 1 hour? Does this make any sort of difference?

bjorn_b
Level 6

I tried to set it to 1 day, and that didn't make any difference. Guess this will exactly the same behaviour?

bjorn_b
Level 6

It's strange, but sometimes it helps sharing your thoughts with others....

The template in the policy was created before the default options was changed to "Append" instead of overwrite, so the template still tried to do an overwrite operation instead of appending.

It's confusing though, that this is set under Device and Media in the template, while it is set under "Backup" under Options.