cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot append to media

Johan_Eloff
Level 2
Wonder if someone can help. I have jobs that are set to append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media is available. The jobs share the same partition (pool of tapes. If I look at some of the tape stats under devices, there are definately tapes which have free space and that the append time is set to infinite but the jobs keep asking for overwritable media. How can I get these jobs to use tapes which have available capacity. Bare in mind that I cannot overwrite the tapes as they have some data on them from another job that also ran and used some space on it.
4 REPLIES 4

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
This is a very old issue and it kept me busy for years.
The answer is simple: It is not possible with any BE version I ever used (since maybe 8 years).
It was also disussed in the old forum a lot, I think I brought it in several times.

greetings
Peter

Johan_Eloff
Level 2
Pieter, what is the alternative then if you have a backup job that spans more than one tape, the tapes do have space and they are appendable but it prompts for overwritable media. This bothers me as the point of having a loader with multiple drives is to run backups at the same time and use the max amount of space on each tape available.

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
I reduced my library to a single active tape drive. So one tape after the other is filled up until it is full and I do not have any tapes with space left except the actual last one.

As almost all jobs are backed up to disk first, time is no issue and copying to tape may need as much time as it wants (within reason)

greetings
Peter

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Johan,
- Please note that it is rare to acheive twice the native capacity after compression, please ensure that you have enbaled hardware compression and that the hardware supports it.
- Also check for read write errors on the tape and clean them and the drive regularly.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.