cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup remote server...

accu-sym
Level 3

I have a simple backup job setup for a remote server.  It backs up one folder residing on the E: drive of the remote server.  This backup was working fine without issue until yesterday.  Yesterday I got the error:

Job ended: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 at 11:01:25 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe3c - Before you can back up this resource, you must purchase and install a license key for the appropriate Backup Exec agent. See the job log for details.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65084

So, I checked the site: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/326762.htm.  And all it suggested is my licensing being incorrect.  This can't be as it has been working without issue.  Also, this link says this would occur after an upgrade.  I haven't upgraded this installation.  I installed it as 12.5 from the beginning.  But to be sure I checked my licenses.  I have two in there: "Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers" and "Remote Agent for Windows and NetWare Servers".

After that I looked around google and found someone having the same issue: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-125-jobs-failing-final-error-0xe00084af.  A reboot of the remote server solved his problem but I wasn't so lucky.  What led him to reboot was that he couldn't even use ntbackup locally on the remote server to backup his data.  I was able to backup the one folder without a problem using ntbackup.

I did some more troubleshooting:

1. updated the server component completely
2. uninstalled/reinstalled the remote agent
3. backed up something locally on the BEX server
4. attempted to backup a different folder on the remote server using no policies and a different selection list

Nothing seems to work.  The "Security Errors" points to a permissions problem but where?  Does someone have some more troubleshooting steps?  TIA!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

accu-sym
Level 3
Alright, a backup job is going as I type :)  I ended up removing the serials from Tools\Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server in the GUI also.  So, here's the steps I took:

1. Stop services
2. Move besernum.xml
3. Start services
4. Remove serials from Tools\Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server
   (at the step you will be notified you are running a trial version)
5. Restart services
6. Enter serials in Tools\Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server
7. Run backup
8. Drink beer

Thanks for your help Ken.  What a PITA that was. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
2. uninstalled/reinstalled the remote agent

Even if you have the Remote Agnet installed and runnning on a remote machine, the  media server must have a Remote Agent serial installed

Does the BESERNUM.XML file contain the RAWS serial?

accu-sym
Level 3
Well, looks like we're onto something.  I don't have a besernum.xml.  Where should it be located?  I looked in %programfiles%\Symantec.

accu-sym
Level 3
Nevermind.  I found it in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec"

Here's what I have:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<SerialNumbers><SerialNumber><Name>Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers</Name><Value>*****</Value></SerialNumber><SerialNumber><Name>Remote Agent for Windows and NetWare Servers</Name><Value>*****</Value></SerialNumber></SerialNumbers>

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

OK, looks like the remote agent IS installed on the media server

What was failing, flat-file backups. or database backup.  Was the first backup on this system about 60 dfays ago?  Almost sounds like  the 60-day trial for one of the options has expired

accu-sym
Level 3
Holy moly... did you login to my machine?!?!?!  The first backup was 07/24/2009.  The serials aren't trials.  The serial numbers I have are directly from Symantec's "FileConnect" website... I still have the e-mail with the License Keys.  What's the deal?

P.S.  Simple file backup. (probably doesn't matter at this point)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The serial numbers I have are directly from Symantec's "FileConnect" website

You can try shutting down the BEW services and renaming the BESERNUM.XML file (to BESERNUM.XML.SAV for example), restarting the services and then entering your serials from Tools\Install Agents and Media Servers on other Servers

Simple file backup. (probably doesn't matter at this point)

I was just trying to rule out a missing Database serial as the cause  ;)

accu-sym
Level 3
In Tools\Install Agents and Media Servers on other Servers I'm only able to install the client.  I don't see a place to enter serials.  I'm assuming you meant Tools\Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server.  So, what I did was stop BEW service.  Move besernum.xml to the desktop (it's not in Documents and Settings anymore).  Then start the services again.  Once I go to Tools\Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server I still see the serials I just moved to the desktop.  It must be pulling those from somewhere else.  Is there another serial file somewhere or maybe registry keys I need to delete?

accu-sym
Level 3
Alright, a backup job is going as I type :)  I ended up removing the serials from Tools\Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server in the GUI also.  So, here's the steps I took:

1. Stop services
2. Move besernum.xml
3. Start services
4. Remove serials from Tools\Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server
   (at the step you will be notified you are running a trial version)
5. Restart services
6. Enter serials in Tools\Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server
7. Run backup
8. Drink beer

Thanks for your help Ken.  What a PITA that was.