cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot download and extract files for BE 2012 v14 for Small Business server 2008

AidanO
Level 2
Partner

I'm really, really embarrassed by the BackupExec 2012 v 14 download process. I wanted to demonstrate BE 14 to a customer and the download site is not working properly. The customer was not impressed to say the least.

I went to the site https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/vrtcontroller# and downloaded the files specified on the page to a folder named BE14 on my hard drive -

Backup Exec 2012 SP2 (32 and 64-bit) ISO 1 of 2, Backup Exec 2012 SP2 (32 and 64-bit) ISO, 2 of 2, Backup Exec 2012 SP2 (32 and 64-bit) ISO ,CMD andBackup Exec 2012 SP2 SDR Disk (64-bit) ISO.

I followed the instructions that say "From the download folder, double-click the CMD file. The files will be combined to form a new ZIP file that contains the full DVD image.". That of course doesn't work so I went to the Symantec forums for help and tried to rename the files, extract then using WinZip and WinRAR, downloading the files again... and again... and again... runnning a dos command that was indicated on one of the forums. Nothing worked with one exception. I was able to extract the recovery disk and burn the ISO image to a DVD. That did not help my demonstration. The customer walked away sometime during this process.

I found during my search for a solution that his issue goes back years. Is there any hope for a solution in the near future?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can go to www.backupexec.com, click on the trialware section and select BE.  This will lead you to where you can download the entire installation DVD as a whole and you don't have to join the different parts.

To be sure that you have download the installation DVD correctly, you can use a ISO program to extract the contents of the DVD.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can go to www.backupexec.com, click on the trialware section and select BE.  This will lead you to where you can download the entire installation DVD as a whole and you don't have to join the different parts.

To be sure that you have download the installation DVD correctly, you can use a ISO program to extract the contents of the DVD.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Make sure the downloaded files have the correct extensions, apparently the operating system save as dialog sometimes changes the extensions and then the .CMD file will not work correctly.

Open the .CMD file in a text editor to confrim the exact filename + extension that both sections of the ISO should have and then make sure you can see extenstions in the operating system when verifying the name.

Note: the SDR disk ISO is not used by the .CMD file