cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open user default database

VIcki_Becker
Level 3
I just upgraded Backup Exec for Windows to version 11D and when running liveupdate it errors at the end of the update. I get the following message: Cannot open user default database. Login failed. Any idea why this is happening?
11 REPLIES 11

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
I had similar issues with live update on 11d, no problems with it on livestate. Download the patches manually.

be6235RHF8_32bit_286521.exe
be6235RHF6_32bit_286044.exe
be6235RHF2_32bit_285704.exe

VIcki_Becker
Level 3
Guess my original post was misleading due to missing information. I have manually downloaded patch be6235RHF2_32bit_285704.exe and had the same problem installing that way so it's more of a patch install problem rather than a liveupdate problem.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Did you try to reinstall the Live update?

Thank you.

Shweta

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Does the backup exec system account have full access to the database

VIcki_Becker
Level 3
If I logon to the backup server using a local account (verses a domain account) the patches apply without error. It must be security related. How do I manage security on the Backup Exec database?

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee
I know this doc dosen't mention the error that you are getting but it's worth a look: http://support.veritas.com/docs/280142

I've seen terminal services application mode cause install issues before.

CharlesLove
Level 3
Partner
I am having a similar issue.. In the above post someone asks..

"Does the backup exec system account have full access to the database"
How to I tell? I am trying to go from one build of 11d to the latest one and I get the error during the upgrade.

brirus
Level 2
Same error upgrading 11 to 11d7107 Cannot open user default database.  Has to wait and tell me at the end of the install, I tried using the local password but it defaulted to the domain password and failed.
Is there any help for this error?

CharlesLove
Level 3
Partner
I got mine working.. I did a ton, but the thing that did it I believe was adding the ASPNET user to the SQLxxxxxx Group and rebooting the box..

Give that a whurl...

brirus
Level 2
Thanks for the suggestion, but aspnet is not available as a selection I believe it is installed with IIS?  This is just a file server and does not need it.  Any other suggestions?

nosferatu
Not applicable
I got the same error while updating backupexe 11d for the first time after a fresh install. Error:cannot open default user database

I solved the problem bij going to C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LUALL.EXE (this is the application to start live update for backupexe)and running this application as the local administrator.(right klik your mouse and choose run as) The update started and completed without errors.

Ricardo