cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot write to WORM media on Backup Exec 11d

hyvong
Level 2
Hello,

Please help. I have put 3 blank tapes (WORM media) in the library. Without knowing beforehand to just leave it alone for Backup Exec to pull as needed, I added it to a media set and now it's not overwritable even though I specifically set the media set to allow overwrite. In the backup job, I also set it to append to media and overwrite when appendable media is not found, but it still fail. Error: The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed.
Also, another error is: No appendable media could be mounted. Error - Mount failed. Physical volume librarymedia not found.

What should I do for backup exec to pull the WORM media and append to it.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Well WORM cannot be overwritten and that is by design.
All you can do is append till full.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open#WORM

Move the media to a media set that allows you to append.

hyvong
Level 2
Thanks for responding. I have added it to a media set that allows both overwrite and append but it still throws those errors listed in my first post when I do a backup to tape. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Also, another error is: No appendable media could be mounted. Error - Mount failed. Physical volume librarymedia not found.

if there is no data on this media it is, in BE speak, not appendable. 

Sounds like you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle

You cannot overwrite WORM media and you cannot append an empty media

Hope the IT budget has room for more WORM media

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should be able to solve your problem if your job specifies Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.  The job will first try to append to the media if it is half full and overwrite if it is empty.