cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant Restore suddenly - e0000f0c - An error occurred when attempting to initialize encryption for job.

manic_andy
Level 2

Hi,

Have been using Backup Exec 2010 for a good couple of years and always been working OK.  I last did a restore a few months ago for a user and all worked fine, but today I got asked to do another one and I hit a problem.

When i did the restore job, simple Windows file restore i failed with:-

e0000f0c - An error occurred when attempting to initialize encryption for job.

Now I used hardware encryption on the backup job with an encryption key, and when I've done restores in the past its always been fine.  This was a brand new backup tape for this job (LTO4) as my previous one failed as I had a batch stop working recently.  The backup job had completed OK though so I'm not sure what is happening.

Cant find any help on the knowledge base either.

Any ideas?

Andy

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See whether this document applies.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH156466

If not, do a test to make sure that the encryption key used for the tape is o.k.  Do a small backup to disk encrypted with this key and then try to do a restore.

If it is successful, it is probably the fault of the tape drive.  At this stage, run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape drive.  Make sure you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.

If the key test is not successul, delete the key and recreate it.  Make sure that you know the key before you delete it.  There is no way to recover it once it is deleted.

manic_andy
Level 2

Just ran a restore from last nights backup, same files etc and that worked fine.

Put in the night before that which is the tape I want and it fails with the encryption error.  Both brand new LTO4 tapes and as I can restore from last nights I guess that means the encryption key is OK.

I have just set encryption to none on my jobs for now, as googling just there was a bug in 11d which meant anything but the most recent backup had this issue.  We are on 2010 so not that and I have restored from months back in the past so not sure what is going on here.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check that your tape drive is still using Symantec drivers.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160161

If it is just one tape, it could be that that tape is bad.

If you are not on BE 2010 R3 SP2 with the latest hofixes, then you should upgrade to R3 and run LU a couple of times to get SP2 and the latest hotfixes.

manic_andy
Level 2

yep using symantec drivers.  

Weird ran the job from lastnights backup for my folder and restored OK.  Edited the job for the users folder and failed!?  Reverted to me and OK, change to them and fail!

Don't get that.  Running as domain admin account so permissions are OK?  Any ideas now?

Have disabled encryption on the jobs for now just in case.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3 SP2 and the latest hotfixes, then if the problem persists, log a support case with Symantec.