Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog error/ Slow backup

mike5007
Level 2

Backup Exec 2012 R3
Running on Windows Server 2008 R2

While investigating another issue (Backup is hanging during System State; Directory Windows Management Instrumentation; Current File WMI. No errors in Windows logs. Backup job Full or Diff of 1.4TB takes about a day. Backup finally completes with no errors. Backup is D2D)
Under C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\Caterror.log I see the following several times:
DynamicQuery::DeleteObject(line 2360) : DynamicQuery::DeletePdi : DSPDIEnumerator::DeletePdi Call Failed EngineError Code -536836945

Can you tell me what this means and what troubleshooting steps to take? Is it related to my backup job taking so long?

Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

lmosla
Level 6

I am not sure about the error but it could be some kind of corruption in the job. Try recreating the job, repushing the remote agent and if running an AV, exclude it from scanning BE processes. 

mike5007
Level 2

I am more interested in finding out what the error root cause is at this point. What is the point in having an error and an error code if we cannot decipher it?

As far as the backup job, I have performed all of the steps recommended a few times to no avail.

Sbrueggemnn-amx
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I have the same Problem with my Symantec Backup Jobs.
In November 2013 my Jobs takes 6 Hours for a full Backup,
since December 2013 my Jobs takes 18 Hours for a full Backup.

Windows Server 2008 R2
Backup Exec 2012 R3 Version 14.0 Rev. 1798 (64 Bit)

My Tests,
installed latest SP for Backup Exec,
recreating the Jobs
deinstalled the Windows Patches from December
deinstalled Antivirus Software

Have u find a Solution for the Problem ?

mike5007
Level 2

I have not found a solution.

I have:

Uninstalled the agent
Updated the Backup Exec software
Deleted the jobs
re-pushed the agent
re-created the job

Issue still persists. Like I said, there are no errors reported by BackUp Exec nor in Windows logs.

I also used Windows Server Backup and backup up the System State successfully.
I used the bare metal recovery, selected System State, C drive and B drive (Dell Maint Partition), VSS Copy Backup.
It was approx. 28GB and it only took 26 Minutes.

Zedadiah
Level 3

"Your silence is verrrryy reassuring." -Roz

I have a similar situation, looking for a way to speed up the "system state" part of the backups. Regular business data flies at over 2gigs a minute, but when it gets to WMI and such... THUD, it's like it's suddenly pulling the data over a 24k Sportster from Auckland.

JJ-007
Level 2
Partner

We have same problem:

Windows2008 server, 32 bits

BE 2012 SP4 + hotfix

When backup comes to System state and WMI it hung for 48 hours and then finish successfull.

Normaly the backup should have taken 5-6 hours.

It would be nice if any Symantec people could give some suggestions for a resolution.

lmosla
Level 6

mike5007,

I apologize for the late response,

Since this may be a problem with the BEDB I suggest you log a Support case for further analysis and more thorough troubleshooting.