cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog failed - The block size being used is incorrect

AdamH
Not applicable
When trying to catalog a tape I receive the following error:
Final error: 0xe00084f3 - The block size being used is incorrect.

NOTE: 
The original backup job used the NDMP backup setting for EMC.
Using Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 Rev. 2213
NDMP Option is licensed and installed.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive on this issue.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ravi_Venkatesh
Level 2

I called the support and resolved the issue. This is what I did.
1. Went to the Windows Device manager and clicked on Medium Changers and selected the medium changer and right clicked it and then drivers and they changed it to Unknown Medium changer.
2.Clicked on Tape drives and selected my tape drive in this case Sony AIT 100 GB and right click, properties and drivers and checked for the drivers. It said Sony Driver.
3. Went to Backup Exec and clicked Tools,Wizards,Device Configuration Wizard and Next, Next and selected Install Tape Device Drivers and installed Symantec Tape Drivers.
4. Went to Windows Services and disabled the service for Removable Storage. (The technical person asked me if I am using a domain or workgroup. I am using a workgroup and I am backing up several servers using Windows Agent)

5. I closed all the application and shoutdown the backup server.

6. Manually shutdown the Tape library, in this case Sony Autoloader, waited for 10 sec and power back on the Autoloader. Waited for 2 minutes for all the tapes to get initialized.

7. Started the server again.

8. Ran an inventory and then could able to restore the job from my old tape.

Hope this help.

Ravi

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Set the block size back down to 64K and try again. When you initially increase the block size, a message pops up stating you might have problems restoring data.
Here is something else to look into:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/190750.htm

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   
Are you catalogging in the exact same environment that the tape was written by?

Ravi_Venkatesh
Level 2
Hi,
I have the similar problem. I am running 12.5 on a Windows 2003 server and I am trying to restore a data from a tape using Sony Autoloader AIT-3 tape. This tape was backed up using Sony Autoloader tape drive. 2 days back that Autoloader was broken and we had to bring in another Sony Autoloader. Now I have loaded the tape in the new Sony Autoloader and trying to restore a job and it gives this error. When I looked at the solution in this forum, I am afraid if I loose the data. I cannot loose the data and I have to restore. Please let me know the solution.

TX.

Ravi_Venkatesh
Level 2

I called the support and resolved the issue. This is what I did.
1. Went to the Windows Device manager and clicked on Medium Changers and selected the medium changer and right clicked it and then drivers and they changed it to Unknown Medium changer.
2.Clicked on Tape drives and selected my tape drive in this case Sony AIT 100 GB and right click, properties and drivers and checked for the drivers. It said Sony Driver.
3. Went to Backup Exec and clicked Tools,Wizards,Device Configuration Wizard and Next, Next and selected Install Tape Device Drivers and installed Symantec Tape Drivers.
4. Went to Windows Services and disabled the service for Removable Storage. (The technical person asked me if I am using a domain or workgroup. I am using a workgroup and I am backing up several servers using Windows Agent)

5. I closed all the application and shoutdown the backup server.

6. Manually shutdown the Tape library, in this case Sony Autoloader, waited for 10 sec and power back on the Autoloader. Waited for 2 minutes for all the tapes to get initialized.

7. Started the server again.

8. Ran an inventory and then could able to restore the job from my old tape.

Hope this help.

Ravi