cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalogs do not finish

m5frankx
Not applicable
Hello all.

After a complete system failure of my one and only domain controller over the weekend, I purchased a brand new server and have begun the task of bringing back my data.
I'm running Windows 2003 R2, SP2.
Backup Exec 11d.
Exabyte VXA2 tape drive.

The tapes inventory ok. I began the catalogs the other day and they all failed with the following error:
e0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link
V-79-57344-2304.

I clicked the link and followed a couple suggestions, including but not limited to -
unchecking "use storage media-based catalogs"
removing all the files in the catalog directory, restarting services, resubmitting catalog jobs
removing the device from backup exec, restarting services, resubmitting inventory and catalog jobs.

Whats funny is that of the three tapes I'm trying to catalog, it fails at different point in the catalog process - one gets to 4GB, one gets to 11GB and one gets to 78GB. The total amount of data I'm trying to catalog is about 95GB. They all fail with the same error as above.

Consequently, I have been able to restore most of my critical data... but there are still gigs missing and while they are not missed now, by next week I'm gonna need em all.

I have three questions -
Is my tape drive broken?
Are my tapes broken?
more importantly - Is my Backup Exec software broken (hence fixable with some magic method that eludes me)?

Stay hard and keep jammin people.

1 REPLY 1

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi,

To answer your questions:

Is my tape drive broken? - No, your tape drive is not broken

Are my tapes broken? - No, they are not broken either

more importantly - Is my Backup Exec software broken (hence fixable with some magic method that eludes me)? No, this is normal behavior.

The catalogs are bases on media families, a family gets started with an overwrite job.  If your job was an append job, then those tapes that your are trying to catalog belong to a family that has more media associated with it.  This will always failed the catalog job no matter that the job cataloged data. 

What is a Media Family?

To avoid the failure during the catalog job, go to Tools> Options> Catalog and deselect the option "request all media in the sequence for catalog operations".  This will forced Backup Exec to ignore the family group and just cataloged the media that is intended to catalog.

If you are still missing data on the restore selection, then there are more tapes that will need to be catalog.

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez
Advanced Technical Support Engineer