cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centralised tape drives?

benjamin_donnac
Level 2

I am currently evaluating Backup Exec.  The basic description of what I would like to achieve is essentially a centralised tape back up server with 4TB of temporary storage with a number of networked machines.  Incoming hard drives with customer data will then be connected to the networked machines, which will create a job on the centralised machine which will then back it up to tape.

So far I have set up the centralised tape back up as a centralised media server, which can then see the media on the backup stations.  However, I cannot seem to persuade the backup stations to recognise the media on the centralised server which would be necessary for them to back up to tape.

I can add a folder share for the central machine to the backup stations, but I really want it to queue individual jobs for the tape drive without further interference.

Is this possible?  If so, how?!?!

Many thanks,

Ben
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

if I understand what you are trying to do, you can't do it that way.  The BackupExec media server can connect to remote machines and backup their data, but can only write to devices that are "owned" by that media server, on a SAN using the SSO (Shared Storage Option) or to a network share

You cannot write data to a tape device or disk drive "owned" by another machine

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

if I understand what you are trying to do, you can't do it that way.  The BackupExec media server can connect to remote machines and backup their data, but can only write to devices that are "owned" by that media server, on a SAN using the SSO (Shared Storage Option) or to a network share

You cannot write data to a tape device or disk drive "owned" by another machine