cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change a data sets Data retention time from 4 weeks to permanent

Microcare
Level 3

Hi There I was wondering if it possible to change a Data sets (Tape Set) Retention time to Permanent from a four week original?

I have a full backup of a server that i now need to keep and dont want may tapes to be over written. How do i go about this?

Any help would be appreciated

many thanks

WIlliam

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Associating a tape with another media set will not change its contents and restore will not be affected. Read the Managing Tape Media section in the Admin Guide

View solution in original post

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to the above, you could enable the write-protect switch/slider giving an extra protection to the tapes from being overwritten.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

You should have a media set called Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite.  If somehow it got renamed or changed you can create a different media set and set it to Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite and then associate the tape that you don't want to protect.

see this document for how to create a media set: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22319

pkh
   VIP    Certified

... then associate the tape that you don't want to protect

I think this should read, "... then associate the tape that you want to protect with this media set"

Microcare
Level 3

Many Thanks for that, will it erase whats already on there? Because thats what i need to keep?

Also will my restore function know that the media set has moved and where to?

Many thanks in advance

William

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Associating a tape with another media set will not change its contents and restore will not be affected. Read the Managing Tape Media section in the Admin Guide

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to the above, you could enable the write-protect switch/slider giving an extra protection to the tapes from being overwritten.

Microcare
Level 3

Many Thanks

William