cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change system defined media vault and media set in backup exec 2012

JoMi
Not applicable

Hi!

I'm using backup exec 2012 (server win 2008R2). When I begun to use RDX data cartridges they were defined by the system to a media vault and a media set with infinite overwrite protection! This is not good because I plan to change the rdx datacartridge daily and the overwrite protection should not be more than 4-5 days. How do I change the system defined media vault and set to an other media set?

I hope you can help me :)

2 REPLIES 2

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you have a media set created already you should be able to bring up the cartridge under Storage/slots. 

Right click on the cartridge and associate with media set.

If you havent yet created the media set that you want you will have to do that first

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

RDX cartridge media (objects named with FLDRnnnnnn) are correctly in the NT backup set with infinite overwrite protect and by design cannot be moved.

What is confusing you is that within the RDX media we still use BKF and IMG files and it is these you overwrite (reclaim) not the complete cartridge. However these files and folders are not exposed in the admin console so you can't tell that they are linked to the media set that has a shorter overwrite protectioon period. As such please do not look at the FLDRnnnnn media and the media set it belongs to as being the cause of any problems, the only problem we have with the FLDRnnnnnn media is that you should be able to completely delete it and currently you can't. 

If you are running out of disk space on RDX media we have a defect affecting GRT enabled backup sets on RDX media where we do not reclaim the IMG folders which eventually causes them to fill up. Currently we do not have a public fix for this issue, although if you log a formal support case you can get an oprhna (similar ot a beta) update that shoudl help.