cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification needed for VCB/Symantec VSS support when performing VCB backups with AVVI

Stan_O_
Level 2
Partner
It is mentioned in at least two Support Documents (http://support.veritas.com/docs/310555, http://support.veritas.com/docs/311683) and elsewhere in this forum that "VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) does not automatically discover and quiesce Volume Snapshot Service (VSS) applications".  The Symantec Comprehensive Backup and Recovery of VMware Virtual Infrastructure Whitepaper, however, indicates that "VCB 1.5 also includes a VSS component that can be used in place of the one provided with Backup Exec AVVI".  This leads me to conclude that the Support Documents do not take into consideration the functionality added in VCB 1.5.  Can anybody corroborate this conclusion.

If the above conclusion is valid, is there any advantage to using the Symantec VSS Provider over the VMware VSS component included in the VMware Tools with ESX 3.5 Update 2?  The VMware Virtual Machine Backup Guide for ESX 4.0, ESXI 4.0 and vCenter Server 4.0 Update 2 and later for ESX Server 3.5, ESX Server 3I version 3.5, VirtualCenter 2.5 indicates the VSS component included in VMware Tools with ESX 3.5 U2 or greater provides application consistent quiescing for Windows Server 2003 VM guests and filesystem consistent quiescing for Windows Server 2008.

Obviously, integration agents will be used for Database, Exchange and AD VMs in addition to the VCB images but clarification of the functionality provided by the VSS provider/component for VCB backups is desired regardless.

Thanks,

Stan
5 REPLIES 5

Symanticus
Level 6

Thanks for posting this issue, I was having problem like the following from my Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 SP2:

Job ended: Friday, 21 August 2009 at 6:01:14 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000954c - *An error occurred while running the VMware 'vcbMounter' command to back up a virtual machine. *See the job log for details.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38220

Backup- VMVCB::\\vCenter\VCGuestVm\(DC)Domain.com(DC)\vm\Windows Server 2003\Win2003x64_vmws04
V-79-57344-38220 - Backup of the virtual machine 'Win2003x64_vmws04' failed. VMware VCB framework reported the following error
Error: Other error encountered: Snapshot creation failed: Could not quiesce file system.

the backup always failed with Windows Server 2003 x64 VM and i'm sure that I've installed VMware tools with complete option as well.

any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

ricdanger
Level 4
Hi,

If your virtual machines where created after ESX 3.5 U2, the VMware VSS provider  is already present.
Otherwise, you must install the BE VSS provider included in the CD.
As far as one of this situation applies, applications will be quiesced properly.
To be sure it is working, you should look for VSS operations on the Event Viewer, every time you backup the VM.

As far as BE VSS vs VMware VSS, they should work the same, but VMware are easier to manage (no need to update them separatelly, no need to mess with pre and post scripts).

Best regards,
Ricardo

Symanticus
Level 6
OK, so does this also means that if I integrate the BE 12.5 SP2 with VCB v1.5 I should not need the AVVI license ?

Stan_O_
Level 2
Partner
 The AVVI license is still required for each ESX server you wish to backup VMs from.

Stan_O_
Level 2
Partner
Ricardo:

Thanks for the corroboration, that's the conclusion I've come to as well.  It's troublesome though that the best practices documentation from Symantec directly contradicts this conclusion.  Both of the support documents I listed in the original post are due for expiration this month.  I'm hoping they'll be updated to reflect the functionality provided with ESX 3.5 U2.

If the documents are not updated to reflect the new reality, confirmation from a Symantec employee that this conclusion is correct would be considerably appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan