cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clariion CX4 and SYMC BACKUP EXEC

LiveStalker
Level 2
Hello.
I have SAN. In this SAN there are tape library, clariion cx4 and one server, all contected fiber chanel.
On this server install SYMC BACKUP EXEC.
In consol of backup exec i see tape library but don see volumes of clariion cx4.
What problem can be?
I have this lacences:
SYMC BACKUP EXEC SERVER 12.5 WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD
SYMC BACKUP EXEC AGENT FOR WINDOWS SYSTEMS 12.5 WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD
SYMC BACKUP EXEC OPTION SHARED STORAGE 12.5 WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD
SYMC BACKUP EXEC OPTION DESKTOP AND LAPTOP 12.5 WIN PER DEVICE BNDL STD

Please help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Start by checking your zoning on your FC switches, and make sure that your server is configured in the zone that your storage is put in. From there, present a LUN to your backup server. This will be for restores, B2D etc.
Once done, do a rescan in Windows so it shows up, and do the usual rescan for new drives and then configure them.
In Backup Exec, go to Devices, and right-click Backup-to-Disk folders. You can then create a new B2D, and target your LUN that you presented to your backup server.
I've done this successfully with an HP StorageWorks EVA 6100, and zoning is the main key here. If it's not zoned correctly, it won't see the CX4, no matter what.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Start by checking your zoning on your FC switches, and make sure that your server is configured in the zone that your storage is put in. From there, present a LUN to your backup server. This will be for restores, B2D etc.
Once done, do a rescan in Windows so it shows up, and do the usual rescan for new drives and then configure them.
In Backup Exec, go to Devices, and right-click Backup-to-Disk folders. You can then create a new B2D, and target your LUN that you presented to your backup server.
I've done this successfully with an HP StorageWorks EVA 6100, and zoning is the main key here. If it's not zoned correctly, it won't see the CX4, no matter what.

Cheers!

LiveStalker
Level 2
Thank you very mach!

PezJunkie
Not applicable
I'm trying to do the same thing (with a CX 3-20) and I'm still not clear on what needs to be zoned together.

At this point I have my BackupExec server and my Tape Library zoned together.  The server can see the tape drive and backups are working.

Now I want to do a LAN-less backup of a server.  (APPSERV1 for example.) 

Do I just need to add the APPSERV1 HBA's to same zone as my Backup Server & Tape drive?

Do I need to present any of the LUN's for APPSERV1 to the Backup Server?

John_Stockard
Level 5
Partner Certified
In order to do a LAN-less backup of APPSERV1, the easiest way would be to turn APPSERV1 into a Backup Exec Remote Media Server and have it back itself up over the SAN to the tape library.  In order to do this, you'll need several things:
  1. Put another SAN FC HBA into APPSERV1 so that it can talk to the tape library.  It is best practice to not mix disk I/O (the path between APPSERV1 and your CLARiiON CX3-20) and tape I/O (the path between APPSERV1 and your tape library) on the same HBA port.
  2. Zone APPSERV1's new HBA to the tape library.
  3. Purchase another Backup Exec for Windows Server (BEWS) license for APPSERV1.  This will turn APPSERV1 into it's own backup server.
  4. Purchase the Backup Exec Central Admin Server Option (CASO) license.  This will allow you to manage the Backup Exec server components on APPSERV1 and your existing Backup Exec server through one GUI.
  5. Purchase two Backup Exec Shared Storage Option (SSO) licenses -- one for APPSERV1 and one for your existing Backup Exec server.  This will allow APPSERV1 and your existing Backup Exec server to share the tape library and tape drives through the SAN.

Alternatively, if your existing Backup Exec server and APPSERV1 are running the same operating system (i.e., Windows), you could try leveraging EMC's plugin for VSS in combination with the Backup Exec Advanced Disk-Based Backup Option (ADBO) to take snapshots of APPSERV1's LUN, mount it up on the existing Backup Exec server, and then back it up to tape.  According to the compatibility list for Backup Exec 12.5 (ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/306831.pdf), it supports the EMC "Solutions Enabler with VSS Provider" module version 4.0.1 or higher (supplied by EMC) in conjunction with an EMC CLARiiON CX3-20 running FLARE 26 or higher.  This would require (at a minimum) that you install the EMC PowerPath software on both APPSERV1 and your Backup Exec server.  You should also install a second HBA into the Backup Exec server for commuication to the LUNs on the EMC CLARiiON (see point #1 above).

Appendix C in the manual entitled "Backup Exec for Windows Servers 12.5 Administrator's Guide" (ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/308400.pdf) contains information about how to use the Advanced Disk-Based Backup Option (ADBO) to do offhost backups in this manner.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 John is spot on with his post.

LAN Free backups are typically done with ADBO and offhost backups, or turning clients into BE media servers.