cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean HP Tape Library- exec 12.5

faisal7c
Level 4

Hi,

I have Symantec exec 12.5 and HPtape library MSL G3 Series, recently my backup get error (Final error: 0xe00084ec - A tape read/write error has occurred.  This is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again).

can you please advise me how to clean my Tape drive? do i need a cleaning tape or HP MSL tape library does have a cleaning tape?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Faisal,

If this is a hardware issue, and you bought your library brand new, it ships with 2 cleaning tapes normally. They're orange.

If you have HP's bar code labels, put a cleaning tape label on the tape (CLNxxxL3 for example), and run the Scan option under Devices in BE. Once done, right-click your tape drive and choose Clean.

You can also run this option from the OCP of the library, through HP Library and Tape Tools, or through the web RMI front-end via Internet Explorer.

There will be no need to configure a cleaning slot for your library, unless you really want to go down that route as it takes a slot out of the mix.

Laters!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Dev_T
Level 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi faisal7c,

Cleaning catridge is required for performing cleaning operations on tape drives.

If you have configured a cleaning slot in your library and a clening catridge is present in that slot, either you can enable auto clean feature in the library or you can perform manual cleaning operation from tape library console.

Best Regards..

CraigV

Hi Faisal,

If this is a hardware issue, and you bought your library brand new, it ships with 2 cleaning tapes normally. They're orange.

If you have HP's bar code labels, put a cleaning tape label on the tape (CLNxxxL3 for example), and run the Scan option under Devices in BE. Once done, right-click your tape drive and choose Clean.

You can also run this option from the OCP of the library, through HP Library and Tape Tools, or through the web RMI front-end via Internet Explorer.

There will be no need to configure a cleaning slot for your library, unless you really want to go down that route as it takes a slot out of the mix.

Laters!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@Craigv

Sorry for diverting the discussion a little bit..

The same procedure can be used for cleaning drives in Quantum/Tandberg libraries. Means without configuring cleaning slot?

Thanks...

CraigV

Haha Kiran, no hassles.

It shouldn't matter what your manufacturer of your backup device is. It would all be the same. It's my personal preference to not dedicate a slot for a cleaning tape.

THat means that whenever BE THINKS the drive is dirty, it's going to run the tape, and as you know the cleaning tape has a very limited lifespan.

It also takes away a slot, and I use all my slots in 3 partitions.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Convinced. Thank you very much Craig.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

If cleaning does not resolve the Issue please make sure the drivers, firmware are up to date. Last resort would be to run Library Tape Tools and run a Full Diagnostic on the Tape Drive. Any errors/warning returned should be taken up with HP then.

faisal7c
Level 4

Dear all,

Thanks for the post,

CraigV

Hi faisal,

If you come right here, will you please mark off the post that helped as the solution?

Thanks!

CraigV

Hi faisal,

Did you come right here?

Thanks!