cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning Tape uses full capacity on first run

Fiona_Cameron_2
Level 3
Hi,

We are running Backup Exec V9.1rev 4691.

I posted an issue a few weeks ago when the cleaning job started failing with the following error:

"(Server: "MSL19") (Job: "Clean Drives") Clean Drives -- The job failed wi th the following error: Library error - robotic library driver has timed out."

I replaced the cleaning tape and set-up a new cleaning job. This ran and completed successfully once, but used the whole capacity of the tape. When I tried to run the job again it failed with the above error.

All firmware, drivers and BE were at their latest revsions/service packs.

I was advised to install the latest BackupExec drivers from Veritas. I did this, which cleared the error but still used the whole capacity of the tape.

I have tested this using another new backup tape and it again used the whole capacity of the tape on the first run. When I subsequently run the backup with the same tape it completes successfully but the following error is displayed in the storage device window:

"Fault Handler:
Fault code: 8003 (soft)
Drive load did not complete"

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks
Fiona
9 REPLIES 9

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Are there any errors generated in the Windows System event logs which are related to SCSI or the drivers etc ?

If so then which are they ?

This problem may occur due to various reasons like:
1) Incorrect driver
2) Faulty hardware
3) SCSI issues.

So kindly check and update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Fiona_Cameron_2
Level 3
Hi,

There are no SCSI or driver errors reported in the System Event log.

The driver installed is as per advised in a previous post
"If the device is tested install the Backupexec drivers from Veritas.
]http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853"

I also have a problem with the compression ratio on the right hand side of this storage device which my hardware vendor said was probably software related, hence the update of all the firmware, drivers etc. - but to no avail.

Do you think these issues are more hardware related?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards
Fiona

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Fiona,

If hardware data compression is used, then the compression is done by the tape drive. Backup Exec only sends instruction to the tape drive to do compression. If data is not compressing it could either be because of hardware compression on the tape drive being disabled or because the tape drive does not support it.

please refer to the following documents:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/199542

http://support.veritas.com/docs/246958

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Fiona_Cameron_2
Level 3
Hi,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

BE is set to use hardware compression and the storage device does support it.
The Left Hand device is compressing at a ratio of 4.30:1 but the Right Hand device is only doing 1.80:1. This week-end we are moving much of the data backed up by the RHM from an old NT cluster to a Windows 2003 machine so I'm hoping to see an improvement.

However, I'm still unclear as to why this would affect the Cleaning Tape and why a when a new tape is inserted it can only be used once?

Regards
Fiona

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Which robotic library are you using? What is the build? Did you check if it appears in the Hardware compatibility list for BE 9.1? Also you had earlier mentioned that 'it used the whole capacity of the tape.' Could you elaborate on this? Which is the cleaning slot in the library? What error code do you receive in te job log? Does the job fail?

Also check if there are any media related alerts in the alerts tab in backup exec.

Revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Fiona_Cameron_2
Level 3
Hi,

Apologies for the delay in answering the posted questions.

We are using a Compaq MSL5000 Series which is on the HCL list. It is running Firmware Version 0513.

We use Slot 28 as the cleaning slot but I have also tried other slots.

When I look at the properties of the media there is no free space available on the tape. Sometimes the job fails and sometimes it doesn't, but in each case the job log cannot be opened. There are no media related errors in BE.

Regards
Fiona

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Fiona,

My apologies for the late reply.

Can you please update on the issue ? Still it persists ?

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Fiona_Cameron_2
Level 3
Hi Ajit,

I have just tested the cleaning process with a new tape and it seems the issue has now resolved itself!

Many thanks for your time.

Best Regards
Fiona

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello Fiona,

Thank you for an update.