cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client-side deduplication not working

BurningSky
Level 2

Hi,

We are running Backup Exec 2012 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine with deduplocation storage connected. When a backup is run with the client-side deduplication selected the job completes with the following execptions:

Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used.

I have read the following 2 articles and made sure the suggestions, where possible, are implemented:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH185521
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77683

I cannot follow the [ II ] Configure the Remote Agent with Deduplication on the agent that is being backed up. steps as I can't see the options it is telling me to follow so assume these are for 2010 or earlier?

I have implemented the firewall (local windows) rules and looked through the firewall logs from during the backup process and can't see anything being blocked.

When I change the option to server-side dedup it works fine but I don't want to use server-side.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what I may have missed would be greatly appreciated as I am not a Backup Exec expert and am a bit stuck! If I'm missing out any information just say.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...both TNs list BE 2012 so they are relevant. Can you post some screenshots?

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What are the OS'es on the client machines?

lmosla
Level 6

When you ran a job with server-side were you able disable the client-side option on the Deduplication storage under Devices?

BurningSky
Level 2

CraigV: What would you like screenshots of? The setup or the error?

pkh: The server is Windows Server 2008 R2, it appears to be working for a Windows 7 machine even though the same firewall rules are in place

Imosla: I'm not sure what you mean here?