cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression issue after upgrade to ver 10 (from 9)

Brian_roberson
Not applicable
Before upgrading to version 10 we were getting 1.39-1.49:1 compression ratio. Now it has dropped below 1:1 -- the compression method selected is "Hardware if available if not software"

Does anyone know of any issues with version 10 and compression? This issue happens with our weekend FULL job. The funny part is, our daily Monday-Thursday job which is a differential job compresses about 1:39 : 1 - pretty good!! Any ideas on where to start?

The bulk of the data backed up in on a Windows 2003 Server with the agent loaded. The backup machine is on the same subnet running Windows 2003 Server.

EDIT: more info

I just found what seems to be the problem. I have checked the device and it appears that compression is enabled - as exhiited by the daily differential job. When I checked the job log for the full backup it says "No compression enabled" When i go into Job Setup, Find the job, right click and say edit policy - and find the template and then edit for the full backup, the compression IS enabled. I'm missing something here. It seems that everything is up for compression - yet when the full job runs it thinks there is no compression enabled.. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

brianMessage was edited by:
7 REPLIES 7

Martin_Chua
Level 3
I encountered the same problem on my DAT72 & DAT 20/40 drive. I make sure everything is turned on but still no compression used in my backup job. Worst still, the compession ratio show something like 0.9:1 & I am not storing many highly compressed files in my server.

After going thru' so many threads in this forum, I am yet to see a solution or acknowledgement from Vertias that this is an issue, at least in BE v10.

They either blame it on the tape drive h/w (Veritas don't control h/w compression; h/w compression is vendor-specific) or the type of files stored in the backup server.

But I don't get this problem when I was using BE 9 on the same server with the tape drive & same type of files!!!

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hi,

Use just hardware compression and verify results. Take a backup on backup to disk folder with software compression enabled and verify the results.

Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

gballdball
Not applicable
Can you be more specific please.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just try setting compression to SW only and see what the job logs say. If you are getting about the same 1.4:1 ratio, try changing the device driver from Veritas to Manufacturer (avoid MS drivers like the plague) and try HW again

Or just stay with SW compression

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hi,

Please inform us whether the issue is resolved with the suggestions mentioned above. If not update us on the same.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.

Martin_Chua
Level 3
Software compression works, but hardware compression doesn't. My DAT drives weren't compressing data despite the fact that I enabled hardware compression in Veritas.

I am still waiting for solution from Veritas.