cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computernames and Desaster REcovery

Andreas_Martin
Level 4
Hello,

Iam testing the Desaster Recovery for an Windows Exchange 2007 Server running on a 64bit Windows2003 Machine.
Iam using BE 12.5.
I set up a testing Enviroment, with our Active Directory.
Then I set up a BE 12.5 (testing version) in this enviroment too.

Then I set up a Wind2003 64bit on a new machine for the recovery test.
I copied the IMG and B2D files containing the Image and SystemStae of our live Server to the Server in the testing enviroment.

Servername: srv-mail-01
Domain: whatever.mydom
-- examples of course :)

I followed the steps unt No. 10 in this document for recovering the system State and so on...
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/236286.htm

Here is the problem now:

When I try to recover the server BE does not find it.
I guess because BE is looking for srv-mail-0.whatever.mydom and the "new" server wich si still in the workgroup has the name srv-mail-01 WITHOUT the domain?

File redirection seems not to work, its just coping the files to the server but a restart does not affect it in any way  :(

HOW do i convince BE to recover SystemState and all this to this server in the Workgroup??

Every idea is apreciated!
-andreas

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Well you problem is that in the document you referenced we actually say that you should use the same machine name
The computer name, Windows directory and the file system (NTFS) must be the same as the previous Windows installation.

There is a possible (use at your own risk) option that might work for the System State restore which is
Do a redirected restore for the System State and specify \\ServerName\System?State  as the path

However even if this works - you would not want to bring Exchange 2007  back onto another server in the same active directory as your live Exchange server (which if this works and you reboot it would be) so for this test you should really be considering a separate copy of your domain in an offline network environment and to keep the machine names the same.

Andreas_Martin
Level 4
Hi,

thanks for the fast answer. BUT:

1.) The names are the same, the only difference is the domain-suffix( whatever.mydom ) the Servername IS srv-mail-01 on BOTH machines.... 

So the name of the (new) computer in the workgroup (according to your document) IS srv-mail-01
The name of the "crashed" (see point 2) WAS srv-mail-01

2.) Iam doing this in a offline network environment. Iam not insane :) Its for testing ... I just want to see if everything works when the sh+t hits the fan ....

Andreas

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
OK if the names are the same then add an entry in the hosts file on the media server that specifies the IP adderss for your test server and has the FQDN specified

Then run ipconfig /flushdns to reset any cached DNS settings before attempting the restore.

Andreas_Martin
Level 4
DNS... the mother  of all problems :)

Now the server is found and the recovery starts!
Juhu!

Now he comes up with the error:
"e000848c Unable to attach a resource. Make sure all related resources exists and are online, and then try again"

Dough!

-andreas

Andreas_Martin
Level 4
Hi,

the MediaServer is in the domain and the Computer to be recovered is in a workgroup as mentioned in the document ( http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/236286.htm ).

Bu now i just get a "access denied" when i test the credentials on the workgroup comuter.
The account is existing and in the local administrators group of the workgroup computer...

What did I do wrong??

Any ideas??

-andreas