cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concurrent Jobs

Jamie_Tanner
Level 3
Hi,

I am having trouble running two jobs at the same time. I have an IBM Robotic Library with two tape drives in it. I am trying to point each job to use one drive each (I do not want BE to dynamically assign the drives). I am also trying to schedule both the jobs to run at the same time. However, when the jobs run one of the jobs always goes to a queued state.

I have tried letting BE assign the drive to each job dynamically but this always ends up with one job going to a queued state too.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious? Any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jamie
7 REPLIES 7

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

You can create a device pool.

A device pool is a grouping of devices for Backup Exec operations. Devices can belong to
more than one device pool, unless a device is in a cascaded drive pool. Device pools can
contain different types of devices, including specific devices in multi-device robotic
libraries.
In a device pool, Backup Exec selects the oldest recyclable media in all of the devices in the
device pool to use first. If more than one media meeting the requirements is found,
Backup Exec then searches the devices in a device pool according to device priority and
uses the oldest recyclable media in the device that has the highest priority.
When you submit a backup job to a device pool, the job is automatically sent to the first
available storage device in that device pool. As other jobs are created and started, they can
run concurrently on other storage devices in the device pool. By dynamically allocating
devices as jobs are submitted, Backup Exec processes jobs quickly and efficiently.

To create a device pool:
1. On the navigation bar, click Devices.
2. Click Device Pools.
3. Under Device Pool Tasks in the task pane, select New device pool.
4. Select the appropriate options, and then click OK.

We hope this helps. Do revert if you have any further queries.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jamie_Tanner
Level 3
Hi again,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried what was suggested but the second job is still queued.

However, I do not want the drives to be assigned dynaically. I want to point each job to a drive so that it uses the same drive every day. I am not able to do this.

Any further help would be great.

Cheers,

Jamie

Warren_Rowe
Level 3
Hi Jamie,

I might be off the mark but have you installed the Library Expansion Option (or Robotic Library Support - it has different names under different versions)? This allows BE to use more than one tape drive at a time.

Cheers, Warren

Jamie_Tanner
Level 3
Hi Warren,

Thanks for your help.

The Robotic Library option is installed and I can see the library in the devices section BE and I cans ee the two tape drives underneath the library.

Anymore help will be much appreciated.

Thanks again for your help,

Jamie

Warren_Rowe
Level 3
Are you getting any BackupExec errors in the event log?
Does the queued job start OK when the other job finishes i.e. does it unqueue?
Are the jobs scheduled to start at the same time? What happens when you schedule them to start 30 mins apart?

Warren

Jamie_Tanner
Level 3
Are you getting any BackupExec errors in the event log?

No errors in the log

Does the queued job start OK when the other job finishes i.e. does it unqueue?

The job starts fine after the first job finishes.

Are the jobs scheduled to start at the same time? What happens when you schedule them to start 30 mins apart?

They are scheduled at the same time but I have also scheduled them at different times and run one job manually, waited a few minutes the run the other job. The second job always queues.

Thanks again.

Jamie_Tanner
Level 3
Thank for your help guys. I figured out the problem. One of the tapes was faulty and the drive wouldn't pick it up.