cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused on Windows Remote Agent applying updates/hotfixes and Linux hotfixes

Chris_Giles
Level 3
Hi,

I'm currently running Backup Exec 12.5 SP2 on Windows 2003 server and want to apply the hotfixes/updates to the Remote Agents which are various Windows 2000 or 2003 servers.  I have tried from the media server the Tools - Install Agents and Media Servers on Other Servers and get various results.  On the Windows 2000 servers it cannot create the "push.lst" file , and on the Windows 2003 servers in cannot write to the registry or similar error.

Regardless it is only  6 servers so I can install it manually if needed which I would prefer at this point.  However when I copy the RAWS32 folder from the media server (Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWS32) to the root directory of c:\ of the server to perform the local installation, there is no setupaa.cmd file or setupaofo.cmd.  Where do these mystery files setupaa.cmd exist?

Unrelated to the above and instead related to Linux hotfixes.  Is the point to always have the latest hotfix ONLY installed on the Linux ralus agent?  Currently the latest hotfix for Linux Ralus agents is 317436.  I am assuming this hotfix contains all previous hotfixes.  Otherwise, you would have to install every hotfix in the exact order they were released as to not overwrite the changes in the previous one.  This is common sense, just none of the Symantec documentation actually says this.

Thanks,
2 REPLIES 2

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
The Folder which you copied form the media server should have the setup file . There is  a utility with backup exec 12.5  called rawsbulk update.exec in the backup exec directory which can be used to push the update .
the Ralus folder on the media server gets updated when ever you install the update . you can copy the ile over to the linux box and run it which would install the update on the linux box

Chris_Giles
Level 3
Hi,

Definitely no setupaa.cmd in the media server anywhere.  Really odd how I don't I have the file.  I have run rawsbulupdate before as well, same result as running the updates individually from Tools - Install agents and media agent to other servers.
The install knows that the windows agent needs 12 updates, but can't apply them because it cannot create the push.lst file.

The Ralus folder on the media server does have an update on it, but it seems geared towards a RALUS remote media agent and is currently dated version HF326004, http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/326598.htm

I thought the remote media agent vs remote agent were different things.

Thanks,