cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering windows updates, how often should a bootable CD be made?

Mark_Pow
Level 4
SInce systems files change by virtue of windows updates etc - should this affect how often we re-create the bootable CD. Won't the restore tape simly overwrite
the bootable CD files on hard disk when it needs to?
Kind regards
Matt
3 REPLIES 3

Stumpr2
Level 6
I suggest once a month and send it offsite.

Willaim_Whitema
Not applicable
Once a mouth sounds good to me, but shouldn't it be done after an update, software installation and so on as well? I mean if nothing changes on the server other then its data files from the end users (which is already being backed up), how often does it need a back up? I would hate to keep making month to month backups when all the ISO images are all identical.

Mark_Pow
Level 4
Thank you all for your interest.
It appears that the bootable CD is essentially only a bootable CD so there is no software need to continually update it. This is of course assuming that the hardware hasn't changed and you have all your server's system files backed up as well, not just the data. Apparently what happens is that the system files\state will ( naturally enough ) be restored from the restoration media onto the target - leaving you in the position of your last good backup, not just with the data but the system
as well. I have no definitive proof of this but I will test
it out sooner than later.Message was edited by:
Matthew Anstis