cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidate or break cluster DB in BE 12.5

KeithV
Level 2

Greetings,

Long time BE user but never seen this issue before. I came into an old installation of BE 12.5 and it appears to be in a cluster as the DB appears to be on several SQL servers. I'd like to either consolidate those back on the BE server so I can retire those machines that are now doing nothing more then hosting those small db's. I tried to change the location with this info http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH37752 but it wouldnt work. I also tried to change the registry on the BE server to point to itself or another SQL server with no luck.

Just curious what I am missing or if its possible to do what I want to do without a full re-install?

5 REPLIES 5

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi,

As per your post above If I am not wrong you wish to move your  job configuration for backup exec from old server to new server were you have backupexec installed

Your old server is in cluster & is on backupexec 12.5

Is your new server to on backpexec 12.5 or it is on BE 2010 

Let me know if i am wrong also if possible please give more detail information so that I can help you further

Thank You

KeithV
Level 2

Thanks for the reply itsmeaffinity.

I want to move the database back to the BE server (12.5) as the databases appear to be on multiple SQL Servers which means I have to keep them all running when I don't really need to. The company USED to be much bigger but they cut about 3/4 of the people and services so we no longer need a cluster for Backup Exec.

Its on a 2003 sp2 server and the DB resides on multiple 2003 servers with Sql2005. It seems to be the small db's: 

• BEDB_DAT.MDF
  • BEDB_LOG.LDF

I'd like to break whatever the cluster is and move the DB back to the main server. The files are on the main server but it wont let me point to them as I assume the cluster is still intact.

Hope that info helps 

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Please try to detach the BEDB in sql and just move it over to other sql instance and attach it

OR

1 detach the BEDB in sql cluster

2 Copy mdf/ldf to c:\temp on media server

3and assuming backup exec is working and on blank database

4 use beutility to "copy data" and browse to C:\temp and pick up the files( FYI This assumes same version of BE) if not then please don't do that

5if its not the same version you will need to attached the files and bemig it. 

So let me know if you had same version of BE that is considering with your above post you have version 12.5 right now if you had same version earlier or you had version 10d or 11d

Wait for your next update

Keep posted

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Yes you can use SQL studio management to detach the database bedb & then follow the procedure given by me

Yes it is possible & if after doing this if that doesnot work then you always have option to reinstall

Thank You

KeithV
Level 2

How does one "detach the BEDB in sql cluster" ?

Is there some method to look at the install and find out where all the links are to the database so I can figure out what SQL servers its attached to? Right now I see 3 copies of the same database on 3 different servers...

I'd like to break the cluster all together to be honest and just set it up as a stand alone database, is this possible without a re-install?