cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous Protection Server?

Bill_Short
Level 3
The last Backup Exec maintenance contracts I renewed showed up with "Continuous Protection Server" on them. I didn't know what it was but I didn't pay much attention. Yesterday I got the email alert that did nothing but confuse me. I have 10d, does that mean I have CPS or is that a separate install? I have two remote agents, are they CPS RAWS? Do I need to install this update?

Thanks,

bshort1023
8 REPLIES 8

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Will you tell us what do you see, when you click on help -> About ? What is the exact name of the product shown there?

Regards, Ashutosh NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Bill_Short
Level 3
On the Windows 2003 Server it says:
Symantec Backup Exec 10d for Windows Servers
ver. 10.1 rev. 5629
Admin Console
ver 10.1 rev. 5629

On the server with the remote agent installed the only place I see anything is in Add/Remove Programs where it is listed as:
Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers.

I'm not sure if I need to install the patch from doc 283601.

Thanks

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Bill,

The information provided by you indicates that you have the Backup Exec version 10.1 or also called as 10d installed and not CPS.

Please elaborate us whether you would like to use CPS or Baackup Exec 10.1 build 5629.

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Bill_Short
Level 3
I don't even know what CPS is. The first time I heard of it is when I renewed my maintenance and the certificate said CPS on it. I just assumed it had to do with switching from Veritas to Symantec. I'm happy with what we have now but do not know if I need to install the hotfix from doc 283601. It's not very clear (to me anyway).

Thanks

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
CPS is an option that is included with 10d (the 'd' stands for disk based backup which is how CPS basically works). This option allows you to replicate file data from a business server to a CPS server for protection and also allows snapshots to be taken. The Remote Agent used for CPS is no different than the one for BEWS and is used to get the system state.

CPS is a really cool option... read about it here:
http://www.veritas.com/Vrt/offer?_requestid=237298&a_id=14572&

Russ

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
CPS is an option that is included with 10d (the 'd' stands for disk based backup which is how CPS basically works). This option allows you to replicate file data from a business server to a CPS server for protection and also allows snapshots to be taken. The Remote Agent used for CPS is no different than the one for BEWS and is used to get the system state.

CPS is a really cool option... read about it here:
http://www.veritas.com/Vrt/offer?_requestid=237298&a_id=14572&

Russ

Bill_Short
Level 3
So can anyone tell me if I need to apply this patch?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- If you do not have CPS installed you need not install this Hotfix.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.