cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Job function

Michelle_Freymu
Level 2
Please help, I am trying to make a copy of my data as it is, maintaining the file structure. I want to run the copy to an external hard drive so that I can plug that drive into another server and see all of my folders and files (not the single condensed backup file). I have called tech. support twice and they say that it is possible in versions 9.1 and 10.1, but I can't seem to make it work. When I run a "copy" job all I get is that single file. Is it really possible as the tech. people have said? If not, does Symantec offer software to do this??

Thanks!
Michelle
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
No - using BackupExec you cannot make an "image" copy of an existing disk. The output will always be one or more .BKF files if the backup target is a hard drive

You could use Ghost or CarbonCopy or PartitionMagic to to this.

Michelle_Freymu
Level 2
Thank you, that's what I thought, but my Symantec rep. keeps insisting that it's possible. If it is, I haven't figured it out.

Thanks again.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Michellle

Do you find this technote informative?
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274778.htm

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
What the Symantic rep. probably meant was that you can make a backup and restore it on a different place. That way you should have a copy of your data.

You might try to simply copy your data via the copy command on the commandline to the desired drive.

Regards
A van der Boom

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.