cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create 1 drive out of 2 partitions for B2D

Mark_Bloom
Level 4
I am using an Overland Storage Device of 3TB for backup to disc. However, because of the necessary partition it was originally setup as 2TB and 1TB, giving it two drive letters F, G. Is there a way to make vertas see this as 1 large drive of 3 TB and backup to say F and then move on to G and then back to F overwriting after both drives are full?

Would a device pool do this?

Also, is true you cannot have a partition of 2TB?
4 REPLIES 4

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
A device pool will allow you to use both partitions efficently- using all 3GB's. The overwrite behavior will depend on the defined media sets, and the overwrite behavior you specify in the job.

I believe the maximum size of the boot disk is 2 TB. other drives can be much larger, depending on the cluster size specified.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

There is no such possibility of making Veritas see the two as one partition.

It is recommended in this case to have the 3TB Hard disk configured as 1 partition so that a Backup to Disk folder can be created and jobs can be targetted.

Please read through the following document to get more information .

http://support.veritas.com/docs/242726

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Mark_Bloom
Level 4
It is not possilbe to make a 3TB harddisk. I thought the limit is only 2tB. That is why this disk was created with two partitions. If I am wrong about the 2TB, please tell me how to create a 3TB partition.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Here is an article discussing the possibilty...
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/LUN_SP1.mspx

It cannot be a bootable LUN and you must convert the type to GPT (found in Disk management- like creating dynamic volumes)

A device pool of a 2 TB LUN & 1 TB LUN will still work. It does not combine the 2TB & 1TB to make 3TB, but allows a job to span/jump from one LUN to another without having to create seperate jobs for each LUN.