cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating exchange continuous protection jobs on backup exec 12 with clustered exchange servers

en_daniel
Level 3

I'm trying to create jobs for continous protection of an exchange environment but am getting an error message.

the evironment setup is as such:

Backupexec Media server

on the same server Backup exec continuous protection management server/continuous management server

seperate from this machine there are two exchange servers in a failover cluster, 

each server is called exchange1/exchange2 and the cluster is addressed with the name excluster

I have the CPS agents installed on both the exchange servers, and they are recognised in the continuous protection server management screen as having the agents installed.

I've followed the instructions given here: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287706.htm for creating backup jobs, (I know those instructions are for backup exec 11d, but the screens appear to be the same, and I can't find instructions explicitly for backup exec 12).

however when I submit the job, I get an error message saying:

"Error code 0xe01f000d was returned from the Backup Exec Continuous Protection Server application when creating the CPS job. Make sure that Backup Exec Continuous Protection is installed and configured correctly. Check the Backup Exec Continuous Protection Serverconsole for more information about the error. Using an IP address to specify an Exchange server is not supported. Please check this link for additional information:

http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-79-268492855"

Going to the page suggested in the error message takes me to this page:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288369.htm

which displays the error message, (though  slighly different as it doesn't have the suggested link on it).

and it suggests that the problem is caused for four possible reasons:

1, CPS doesn't support exchange clusters,

2, Backup exec is in local machine admin account whilst CPS is domain admin

3, exchange server is offline of not visible

4, there is a problem with the CPS database

starting at the bottom.

the page also says to test that the CPS database is ok to create some test jobs in CPS.

4)I can do this and have file backups working correctly, but CPS doesn't see the exchange information stores.

basically I can create and run CPS jobs for backing up files on the servers.

3)The exchange servers are online and visible in the CPS console, and are all in the same backup group called exchange_servers.

2)both use domain authentication, both using a backup account that has admin permissions on both machines.

1) I believe that this is only true in backupexec 11d, (the support page says it applies to 11d) I'm running version 12.

The only thing that I can think is that the two servers are addresed individually, (exchange1/exchange2) in the cps console but not addressed as excluster (which is the cluster address).

Though If I try pushing the agent to the cluster address, it automatically gets the real name from the real name from the machines and instead of adding excluster1 to the CPS screen it does nothing, (leaving the exchange1/2 servers on the screen seperatly).

I believe that this may be the issue as when selecting the information stores in backup exec, these are selected from the machine addressed as excluster which could be either node. 

Any advice on what to check to get this working, or any service packs or patches that need to be applied.

or if anyone could offer advice as to whether version 12 of backupexec is actually cluster aware would be great.

Regards,

Daniel.

3 REPLIES 3

en_daniel
Level 3

I've found the problem by reading the manual...

The continuous protection feature does not support the following: ■ The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider. Snapshot options that you select on the Advanced Open File Option backup job properties are ignored for CPS Exchange backup jobs. CPS Exchange backup jobs for Exchange Server 2007 are always run as snapshot backups. Note CPS Exchange backup jobs for Exchange 2000/2003 are always run as traditional streaming backups. ■ For Exchange Server 2000/2003 resources, the delegation of continuous protection-related jobs to managed media servers in a Central Admin Server Option (CASO) environment. Job delegation is supported for Exchange Server 2007 resources. ■ Circular logging, if recovery points are used. Recovery points fail if circular logging is enabled. ■ Exchange Server 5.5. ■ Clusters.

version 12 doesn't support clusters,

(so that's the last time I trust the guy who told me that!).

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

When I saw your first post, I thought CPS didn't support clusters - I kew it definitely didn't with BE11d, and thought it didn't with 12. I looked for the document saying it didn't support clusters for BE12, but couldn't find it when I wanted it.

At least you found the answer... ;)

en_daniel
Level 3

Does anybody know if there is a version of backupexec/CPS that does support continuous protection of exchange when it's in a clustered environment?