cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customize the names of Policy Jobs? Wildcards?

Xiazer
Level 3

Backup Exec 2010 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2, 10 HP 4048s, 1 HP 8096, 3 HP 6030s w/ pass through elevator. 28 Drives in total All fiber channel

I am testing creating jobs using policies. I backup a SAN with 6 clustered servers, each hosting a few resources each, so I have a LOT of jobs (75+ across my 6 servers), to accommodate using all my drives. I have a need to change them all at once as opposed to changing them one at a time.

Currently I am testing policies on 1 of my servers with about 5 different jobs (5 different selection lists). So far is is doing about 90% of what I want it to. It created a job for each selection list and ran them as I wanted to. But the name of the job isn't the same as my naming scheme (which I am ok with). My issue is the Job Description.

When I go to restore it only says in the description "Full" per the template I created, where it used to say "F - Drivebeingbackedup". I need it to say what the selection list that was being backed up.

So my question is - drumroll please - can I add a wild card to the Job description to say the name of the selection list being backed up? Like F - <selection list> so it will show up in the restore menu?

Alt question, if I group all my jobs into one selection list will Backup Exec balance my jobs to where they will use more than 1 drive at a time? (that is why I have so many jobs at the moment)

If there is anymore information needed let me know.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

Xiazer
Level 3

Well after some testing I determined that, it will not automatically span a single selection list to more than 1 drive at a time.

Still nothing though? Is there a wild card for the selection list at all that I can put in the job name?