cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO 7.5 on the same server as Backup Exec 12.5?

eibra
Level 2

Currently I have one media server backup exec 2010 in my domain (windows 2003 SP2 server). And I have another server with DLO 7.5 (windows 2008 SP2 server). I have unused license of backup exec 12.5. I was wondering if it is possible to install backup exec 12.5 on the same server as DLO 7.5?

My second question is if introducing a second older version of backup exec 12.5 can cause any problem to the already main media server BE 2010 in the same domain?

I don't intend to share backup resources between the two media servers. Thanks for your thoughts

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Theoretically, since BE and DLO are separate products, it should be o.k. to install them on the same server.   However, due to their age difference, this may present a problem.  I think you would be the only one with this configuration.  If you are thinking of using BE 12.5 to backup DLO 7.5, then it would definitely be unsupported.

Having BE 12.5 would not be problem, except that you cannot backup any servers with BE 2010 remote agents on them.  BE 12.5 cannot communicate with BE 2010 agents.

Personally, I think you should avoid this configuration unless you have a very compelling reason.

You might want to consider upgrading the BE 12.5 to the BE 2014 which is the latest version.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Theoretically, since BE and DLO are separate products, it should be o.k. to install them on the same server.   However, due to their age difference, this may present a problem.  I think you would be the only one with this configuration.  If you are thinking of using BE 12.5 to backup DLO 7.5, then it would definitely be unsupported.

Having BE 12.5 would not be problem, except that you cannot backup any servers with BE 2010 remote agents on them.  BE 12.5 cannot communicate with BE 2010 agents.

Personally, I think you should avoid this configuration unless you have a very compelling reason.

You might want to consider upgrading the BE 12.5 to the BE 2014 which is the latest version.

eibra
Level 2
Thanks for your response. Yes I feel I'll be alone in this configuration. My main BE media server is 2010R3 which I intend to upgrade to 2014. But in doing that, I'll lose the ability to backup few critical XP computers. That is why I got the idea to use this old unused license of 12.5 to continue to backup the legacy XP computers only. Upgrading the old 12.5 is not an option and not needed. My main concern is to cause any problem to the already running fine DLO7.5, if I installed 12.5 on the same server which is the only server suitable at this point

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Note that the end of support life for BE 12.5 is 2015-02-18 which is not too far off and you would be totally alone.