cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO agent backups over a wan with no VPN between sites possible?

James_Bentley
Not applicable
Can I put up a backup server that has a fully qualified public DNS host name (so it's visable to the outside world) and have the DLO agents on the endpoint computers communicate and authenticate to it without VPN?

I'm trying to have several PC's back up to a server without using a VPN connection to each site. If it's not possible in the way I've described above, is there another way to do it using the DLO agent?
1 REPLY 1

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

You will require domain level authentification for the Media server to be able to backup the clients.
Also as long as the clients can communicate to the media server, this should be possible.

However in most cases this may not work due to the security reasons.

Workaround for this is to use the synchronisation feature of DLO to store the data on the local machine (Local User data Folder LUDF) and then when it is connected to the internal network this can be transferred to the Network User Data Folder NUDF from where it can be backed up using Backup Exec.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.