cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO - number of revisions, and max quota questions

jack_aewwe
Level 2
I am currently testing out a trial version of BackupExec 10d (with all of the latest updates as of 3/27/06), and the Desktop / Laptop option. I have a few questions on the product before I purchase it.

We are currently using the DLO option as a completely user-defined backup strategy (i.e. the only folders that get backed up are ones picked by the end users).

1 - Is there any way to set the number of revisions for files/folders that the user selects? The only way I can see to set the number of revisions is if the Administrator defines a backup file/folder. I would like to set a default number of revisions for any folder a user chooses to backup. Is this possible? The reason why I ask is because the users are defining folders to backup, and for some reason it is storing over 20 revisions for each file/folder, which I obviously do not want to do. I would only like to store 2 revisions for each file/folder the user chooses.

2 - I know that when a user opens the DLO agent, selects folders to backup, and saves settings, the DLO agent will show whether or not the maximum disk quota that I have set as an admin has been exceeded. However, it is not overly obvious to the user. The only notification on the client showing this (As far as I can tell) is that the icon in the system tray changes to a warning symbol. Is there any way to generate an error message telling the user that quota has been exceeded?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Scott
4 REPLIES 4

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Yes you can select the number of revisions for files or folders. If the quota is exceeded, the user should get an error message. For more information on the settings, refer to Chapter L on page 1121 in the admin guide. Here is the link for the download:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279401

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

jack_aewwe
Level 2
I understand that I can set revisions for files and folders that I (the administrator) define as a backup selection. However, I would like to know how I can set the number of revisions for a folder that the user chooses to backup from his/her DLO agent.

Hello,

Yes you can select the number of revisions for files or folders. If the quota is exceeded, the user should get an error message. For more information on the settings, refer to Chapter L on page 1121 in the admin guide. Here is the link for the download:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279401

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Regards.

Michael_H_2
Level 3
Jack, from my experience with DLO, if you will create a defualt backup selection (my documents for example) for the profile and set the revision number there, when a user selects another folder it will inherit the revision number from the defined backup selection. This is how it works for us.

jack_aewwe
Level 2
Thanks Michael. That is exactly what I was looking for.