Data Loss on Cancel Backup Operation

mfarhan
Level 4
Hardware: Tandberg Magnam T24
Software: Symantec Backup Exec 12 for Windows Server
Cartridge: A00001
Mediaset: Do Not Allow Overwrite: Infinite Appendable
Operation: Backup Flat Files
Cartridge Catalog before Write Operation: containing 293 GB Data (5 different writing sessions)
Action Taken During Write: Cancelled using GUI as soon as the writing operation started
Response of Hardware and Software: Successfully cancelled and returned the tape to its slot without any errors
Problem: When i opened the restore dialog, i came to know that the cartridge no longer displays information regarding the previous backups, rather it only shows the cancelled operation status, that is, the hierarchy of the file written partially and name of files it was trying to open. It also display red dot on the data cancelled during write.
Attempts to Find Data:

1. Open the Media Tab in software and saw the status description of the tape which now shows 393 MB of 390GB
  2. Catalog the cartridge (Does not change anything - tried 3 times already)
  3. Changed Catalog Directory and Perform Catalog again but does not effect anything in anyway.
Looking forward to recover data previously written
Looking forward to identify the possible cause of the error in order to avoid inconvenience in future!

Note: I can attach pictures of the cartridge information and anything if required please let me know

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

The only reason I can think of as to why it doesn't show any details of the previous backup is because the tape was overwritten.
In this case, with it being erased (possibly), you won't be able to recover that data on the tape. Some company MIGHT claim to be able to do that, but they're either going to be costly, or impossible for them to do that.
Go onto your job and check to see what it is configured to do (append/overwrite).

Laters!

mfarhan
Level 4
well as i mentioned earlier the mediaset used for during entire operation set was the default mediaset "Do not allow overwrite, append infinitely". the last write operation (which is canceled) started after locating position. then overwriting is almost out of scope

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Any news here? Did this help? If not, do you need further help?

mfarhan
Level 4
no it didnt work at all. the cartridge keeps on showing cancelled operation  only and it does not show the backup data which was previously on the tape.