cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled Restore Job

rightfield
Not applicable

We use BackupExec 12 and have two tape drives that backup overnight and are idle during the day. The Web Server is backed up (full) everynight and we would like to restore that backup from tape to another server during the day. We have not found a way to set up a recurring restore job, it always seems to have to be connected to a particular backup already in the catalog when creating the restore job. Well the backups keep updating every night and I always want the most recent which is from the previous night and it isn't in the catalog yet. Are we missing something, can this be done?

Thanks very much.

4 REPLIES 4

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hello,
as I understand you want a replication process between servers.
Backup/Restore is not the best solution.
Symantec have very good solutions.

Regards,
JoaoMatos

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

I have not heard of anyone successfully implimenting this.  It cannot be done through the GUI, you would have to write some custom scripts using BEMCMD.  Here is a link to the admin guide for BEMCMD.  ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/340268.pdf

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In simple terms you need to
1) use bemcmd -o23 or -o506 to get the Job Instance GUID (for the last time your regular job ran)
2) use bemcmd -o21 with the Job Instance GUID to get the JobHistory_GUID
3) add the JobHistory_GUID to the correct section in a restore job script file
4) use becmd -o90 with the restore job script file to start a restore job.

Then put the aboev in a regukarlt TaskScheduler/AT command if required.

Symantec don't provide a method to link all this information together - although there will be clever technical script authors out there that can do it.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

As the other responders have mentioned, there is no easy way to do this

And this has been a user request since at least v7.0  That is to create a job basically saying:

restore file xxxxxx.zzz  from the latest media in media set   AAAAAAAA

I know that there is at least one entry on the "Ideas" area (top menu bar, far right)   If enough people give it a "thumbs up",  we may see this in a future release