cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Restore

sdcadmin
Level 5

We have a data folder on our network share that we backup directly to tape.  I am trying to get data off of the tapes to do a restore.  The tapes have been inventoried and are going through the catalog process.  It is a large folder and required 32 tapes to complete the backup.  The first time I tried the process, I had about 8 tapes fail and "Incorrect function." was the reason given.  The tapes that successfully cataloged still do not show up when I try to do a restore.  If I have any tapes that fail due to "Incorrect function." again, is there something else I can do other than going through the entire inventory/catalog process again?  Why am I not able to see the tapes that successfully cataloged?  Please help!

Thanks,

William

4 REPLIES 4

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When you Catalog the tape then Backup Exec will be able to display the data in that tape in the restore job selection list. When the tape is ones Cataloged you dont have to perform a Catalog of that tape again.

As there are too many tapes to be Inventory & Cataloged.... go to TOOLS>>OPTIONS>>CATALOGS and uncheck the two options of " Request All Media in sequence" and "Use Storage based catalog"

Now Catalog the remaining tapes and also the ones on which the catalog has failed. Then check the restore job.

Thanks,

-Sush...

sdcadmin
Level 5

Hi Sush,

I unchecked the items that you listed.  The tapes failed tapes have been cataloged.  When I try to create a new restore job, I'm unable to find the tapes the selection list.  I verified the date range and it is correct.

William

sdcadmin
Level 5

I changed the media type to retired media, deleted the tape and recataloged it.  I retired 31 tapes, deleted one, and recataloged it.  I still can't see that tape in the selection list.  I only selected 31 tapes because there is one tape out of the group that does show in the selection list when I try to create a restore job.  Why this one tape shows and the other 31 tapes don't show is confusing.  They all are part of the same backup set.  Any ideas or suggestions?  I need to get this resolved ASAP.

Thanks!

William

sdcadmin
Level 5

I have inventoried backup sets prior to this currrent set and the tape (BE0371) following this backup set and none of them show a tape sequence 32 for family 1084522822.  I found the following instructions on how to work around this problem

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH47792&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

I looked at the data provided thus far by the SGMON report and get the following:

Failed to open VCS cluster
"Cluster" does not appear to be present in registry key
Failed to open Microsoft cluster
"Cluster" does not appear to be present in registry key

Is anyone familiar with what may cause this? Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

William