cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data security

FD
Level 3
I have a question about data security.
In our current setup we have a windows 2003 server media server with BEWS 10d, and a number of XP pro machines with remote agent.
One of these XP machines contain confidential data that may only be accessed by a given user.

What happens if
1) the data is backed-up from that machine to the media server
2) another (maybe malicious) user restores that data to another machine (for example he changes the name of a machine to match the one of the confidential one)
?

Will the malicious user gain full access to the confidential data?

Thanks,
Francesco
5 REPLIES 5

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I would think that if you are giving people access to BE, you are effectively giving them access to any file that's backed up.
One way around this might be to use Encrypting File System, as BE then backs up encypted files, and restores them as encrypted files.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi ,

I would also like to know the backup destination.. If you are backingup to Tape,then you can Password protect the tape.

Go to Backup Tag > New Job > Device and Media > Media Protection

For the further Information click on HELP on the same Job Properties Window !

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

FD
Level 3
We are backing up to disk and tape.
I see we can set a password to the media and to the job, but I was wondering if there is a way to automatically protect any data, without having to manually assign a password.

Anyway you are right that who has access to BE is supposed to have access to any data is backed up.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

You may password protect the media. There is no other way for data protection

Thanks

FD
Level 3
thanks, this answers my question.

regards,
Francesco