cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daylight Savings Time, an issue?

Thomas_Higgins_
Not applicable
We are using Backup Exec 10d and were notified there is an update to correct the daylight savings time political morass for 11d. Where does that leave 10d?
Thanks,
Thomas
10 REPLIES 10

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Same place as v11d See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286926.htm

BackupExec relies on the OS for all of it's time info. As long as the OS is patched, BackupExec should not see any effects

if you can arrange it, if you are a belt and suspenders type, you might try to make sure that no job is running at the time that the time changes, but Symantec isn't even recommending that, tho they do recommend not starting any jobs between 0100 and 0300 the day of the change only

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Well as Ken says (I seem to say that a lot!), in February Symantec said it wasn't an issue, unless you had a job scheduled to start in the "missing" hour.
However today they've issued a patch for BE11 to fix a DST problem. Whether the problem will affect BE10 or not, who knows? BE has always (or at least since V9.1) had problems with time changes though...

Daniel_Walsh
Level 2
Today (past the time change), all of my jobs which were previously scheduled for 2:30am are now set to 1:30am. The database maint. task which was 1am ran at 2am. The db maint task still "shows" as being 1am though. The backup jobs themselves actually show 1:30am instead of 2:30am.

I have sp3 installed for Backupexec 10d. My Win2003sp1 server has been fully patched and it did change time correctly.

I guess that patch for v11 is needed for v10d...???

Jason_Strand
Level 2
This is only a TEMPORARY FIX.

You have to delete the backup job. NOT the policy or the template, just the job.

If you go to �Job Setup� and under �Policies� You can right click on the policy template and delete the corresponding job. Once it�s deleted you can right click on the policy template again and choose �New� job.

Sometimes I have to do this when I make changes to the Policy Template.

That�s just the QUICK fix, now we need a REAL fix from Symantec so I don�t have to do this 2x a year�.

Don_Boroughs_2
Not applicable
Ken,

The link you give has only the fix for v11d and when you click on the link for hotfix 16 32-bit, it says:
"This hotfix can only be applied to the following versions of Backup Exec:
Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers revision 6235 (32 bit)"

I'm having the same problem with 10d (v10.1 Rev. 5629). My backups run at 10:20 PM. My Windows 2000 server is fully DST patched. After the time changed, it skipped the next backup and re-scheduled the backup jobs as follows:
Daily - 8:20 PM, Monthly - 9:20 PM, Weekly - 8:20 PM. They are all supposed to be running at 10:20 PM.

BTW, does anyone know how to actually use the extended 24x7 support we paid for? Neither the product documentation nor the website has any support contact information other than this forum (which anyone can access, extended support or not).

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry - Thought that that was the link that only said if the OS was patched, then BackupExec should be OK.

AFAIK, Veritas never released any patches for v10.x that were directly aimed at problems related to DST changes

As for the support, http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/contact_techsupp.jsp?pid=15047 says you should have gotten a phone number when you received your paperwork. Looks like your only alternative at this point is to call their customer support number during business hours and ask for your after-hours support number

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
The number on that page for UK support is the same one I use for all our Symantec support. I called them at 10:30pm the other week, and was speaking to a tech in Australia for 2 hours, so the phone number works 24x7!

John_Pini
Level 2
I changed the effective date of my backup jobs to 12-MAR-07 and the start times changed to the appropriate time instead of being 1 hour earlier. Since deleting a job and creating a new one would have the effective date as the day the job was created, I figured it was worth a shot to change the date. We'll see what happens in 3 weeks...

Daniel_Krage
Level 3
There is no patch for 10d that I'm aware of. I spoke with BE support and the guy didn't know what to do either.

Like someone else said you can change the Effective Date of the job to 3/12/2007 or later and it will change the time of the scheduled job.

Although my scheduled times were off by one hour they were still running at the correct time and the job logs indicated the correct time as well. It is inconvienent, but not fatal.

The support number is bured on the website. You should be able to locate it at http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/contact_techsupp.jsp?pid=15047

United States Technical Support
Technical Support Phone: 800 342 0652 or 407 357 7600

Dave_Borowiec
Level 2
We have several Small Business Server 2003 customers that were fully patched for DST, and today backup jobs are scheduled 1 hour earlier than they should, also notifications are disabled. I changed the job to run at the correct time and re-enabled notifications. Is there a fix? Does SP3 address this?