Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dedup Job Very slow

mmattmann
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi

First some facts about the server:

Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1, Backup Exec 2012 - fully patched, MS Hotfix 979612 and 982383 installed.

Windows firewall an AV software disabled (Server and Client)

Intel Xeon E5520 2,27GHz, 4 Cores

24 GB RAM

RAID 6, 12 * 2 TB on Adaptec 5405

NIC Teaming with 2 x Intel 82567

The problem is the job rate to a B2D dedub folder. If I do backups to a "normal" B2D folder I get job rates around 2000 MB/Min. The same server to a dedup folder ond the same partition is something around 20 MB/Min. There is no difference with client side or server side deduplication.

What I allready tried:

LAN without teaming - no difference

Concurent jobs - no difference

Backup of media server - no difference

Any Ideas?

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have a look at this TN and see if that helps: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188680

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are recommending that he disables the RAID caching for volume where is dedup folder resides, then it is going slow things down some more.

That said, RAID caching should be turned off for the volume where the dedup folder resides.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I hope you know what you just said. 

If i am not wrong Your both statements are contrasting.....

If you are recommending that he disables the RAID caching for volume where is dedup folder resides, then it is going slow things down some more.

RAID caching should be turned off for the volume where the dedup folder resides.

I tried, but couldn't understand what you meant here...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

So what is your recommendation when you make your previous post?  To enable or disable disk caching?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If it is enabled disbale it. And i asked the OP to refer the TN where it is clearly mentioned why it is recommended to disable. By quoting that TN i can't ask OP to enable it right?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

So how is that going to help him?  His jobs is already slow.  By disabling caching it is going to slow down some more.  Read my previous post carefully.

RAID cache has no relevance to this topic.

If your recommendation is to enable caching to speed things up, then you are going against recommended best practice.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Correct... Now all ur replies to me makes sense.

But unfortunately we (normal users) do not have delete option. sad

Thanks....

mmattmann
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thank you for your help.

- RAID caching was already disabled.

- Checkpoint restart does not make any difference

mmattmann
Level 3
Partner Accredited

As we have a bit trouble with this... bump

jpk
Level 4

I face similar issues.  Some jobs go at an ok speed with the dedupe folder, others crawl.  I've not been able to make any determination why this is.