cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication folder error V-79-57344-34028

Nuno_P_Silva
Level 4

Hi all,

I'm creating one beckup job (File System) that run every days to a deduplication folder (about 900Gb), i'm using BackupExec 2010 R3, everything goes well for 3 or 4 days, then i start to have the following error:

"...If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape. You ma
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34028..."

What i already did:

- i have plenty of disk space

- Daily Schedule to Disk Defrag

- Everything up to date (windows 2008 R2 SP1)

- Run inventory on dedup

- Backup verify

Have anyone of you have the same issue?

Cheers,

NPS

6 REPLIES 6

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What are the hardware specs for your server?
Deduplication requires a lot of memory.

Nuno_P_Silva
Level 4

my server has no hardware problems.

My server is:

- Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz

- 4Gb memory

- 2 discs 300Gb (raid 1) - SO

- 4 discs 450Gb (raid 5) - Dedup

(no external storage attach)

thats not a super machine, but i think that should do the job.

if i delete the deduplication folder and create another one, it works for another 3 days +/-... without problems.

thanks for your reply.

NPS

Dev_T
Level 6

Hi,

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130478

As per the technote

Perform a disk-based backup (B2D or backup to disk) to eliminate the deduplication folder from the equation.

Hope this helps

Nuno_P_Silva
Level 4

well Dev T, i've been using B2D on another jobs on same machine a long time with no problems, but now i want to use dedup because of growing information, i dont think that remove deduplication is the solution.

Deduplication option exist's, it's documented and it has to work...

To me this technote http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130478 is a very strange solution that tell's me that there is a problem with "symantec deduplication option"

Note: i have one D2D appliance with deduplication support on another instalation and is working like a charm using B2D (Deduplication is made on Apliance)... :p

Thanks for your feedback,

Cheers,

NPS

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You should not defrag the dedup folder, especially not while the be and dedup services are running. In theory a dedup folder should not fragment that much at all.

Check your system eventlog for errors originating from PDVFS and for entries that point to file system problems.

Additionally you should run a full chkdsk on the dedup volume (be sure to Stop all services starting with "Backup Exec" as well as the "postgres-8.3" service with the windows services applet before doing so.

Note that when performing a chkdsk and errors are found there is a chance that reparing it via chkdsk can render your dedup folder useless, so be sure to have duplicates of all important machines on tape or b2d.

/edit: Regarding the reason for advising against defrag read my two posts here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-avoid-disk-fragmentation-deduplication

aairey
Not applicable
Partner

Same problem and 93% file fragmentation here on my dedup disk ...

Windows Server 2003 though with backup exec 2010 R3.